Public Group active 1 day, 3 hours ago

CUNY Learning Mindset Modules Group

This Discussion Forum for CUNY Learning Mindset Modules Group is visible to the general public. Anyone on the Internet can see the comments and discussion threads. But only Academic Commons members can join and leave the group, and participate in the discussion.

Admins:

1.1 Inspirational Quote

• 1.1 Inspirational Quote

Failure is a greater teacher than success.”

—  Clarissa Pinkola Estés

💬  Discussion:

1. Respond to this quote: Comment, reflect, agree/disagree, share a similar or contradictory quote, or provide an example to support or reject this quote. You may use text, video, audio, etc.
    2. Respond constructively and substantively (≥2 sentences) to another participant’s comments.
Viewing 15 replies - 121 through 135 (of 151 total)
  • I tend to be very cautious of binaries such as success/failure. This tends to be more centered on how I self-critically assess my participation in a learning/collaborative process. There are far too many instances of successful failures in education that should give us all pause.

I agree that the time element is so important, Faiza-and the tools, space, even community support to do this too.

I agree that if you fail, you will be closer to success.

We habituate to repeated successes! We cease to improve as thinkers/practitioners when we don’t push ourselves into unfamiliar territories, fail, discover, and try again.

A master distiller who revolutionized the craft spirits world used to say, “I’ve failed more times than you’ve tried.” To me, it resonates with the above quote, “Failure is a greater teacher than success.” It’s important to try and learn from your mistakes. Although the process can be frustrating and painful, struggling and growing are part of life.

When teaching, I remind people that we all start from the beginning. It’s impossible to know everything.​

Thanks, Marta Kowalczyk, I like the word, “Redirection,” instead of failure. I’m always thinking about how to change my perspectives. Finding a new word or way of looking at life helps me to find different responses to the same issues. I’ll use that word to replace failures in my life.

I certainly remember my failures better! I wonder if this is an evolutionary tactic early humans needed, back when failure could be lethal…

I wouldn’t necessarily say that failure is a greater teacher, but it certainly provides valuable lessons. It helps one gain deeper insight into themselves and the strategies they used to pursue a particular goal. For instance, failing to reach a goal might indicate that the approach was flawed or that the goal itself may not have been the best fit for that person.”

I agree with you completely. Failure is just a path for learning through self-assessment and also provides another approach to success.

The idea that “failure is a greater teacher than success” resonates with me. While failing can be challenging, it often offers lessons and insights that success alone might not provide. When I fail, I usually reflect, adapt, and grow in ways I might not have if everything were going smoothly. For example, in my life, I’ve found that some of my biggest lessons came from moments when things didn’t go as planned, especially during my research projects. Through those unpredictable research experiences, I often gain an understanding and develop the resilience that guides me through future challenges in my research. So, while failure is never fun, it can be an influential teacher if I’m openminded to its lessons.

The great tennis player Roger Federer gave us another way of saying this, in his 2024 commencement address at Dartmouth, telling the audience that while he had won 80% of singles matches played during his career, he has won only 54% of the points in those matches. In other words, he won [matches] a great deal of the time by winning [points] only a bit over half the time. Two steps forward, one step back, is still making progress, no?

I love the Beckett quote too, the opening lines of Worstword Ho — with a grain of salt. “Try again. Fail again. Fail better” sounds great but it also carries with the constant existential crisis of so much of Beckett. Reminds me of Sisyphus, rolling the boulder up the hill, only to see it roll back down, for all eternity. Most of us are more reward centered, I think, and need to get that rock to the summit and celebrate once in a while. Even if there is a bigger hill and a bigger rock around the corner.

The geek in me loves Federer’s stats! Win 80% of matches by winning 54% of the points….

I agree with the quote as in life we have to two steps forward and for steps backward before reaching our destination.

Failure is not final we just found another way how not to succeed.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.