Public Group active 6 hours, 18 minutes ago

CUNY Learning Mindset Modules Group

This Discussion Forum for CUNY Learning Mindset Modules Group is visible to the general public. Anyone on the Internet can see the comments and discussion threads. But only Academic Commons members can join and leave the group, and participate in the discussion.

Admins:

1.1 Inspirational Quote

• 1.1 Inspirational Quote

Failure is a greater teacher than success.”

—  Clarissa Pinkola Estés

💬  Discussion:

1. Respond to this quote: Comment, reflect, agree/disagree, share a similar or contradictory quote, or provide an example to support or reject this quote. You may use text, video, audio, etc.
    2. Respond constructively and substantively (≥2 sentences) to another participant’s comments.
Viewing 15 replies - 76 through 90 (of 95 total)
  • The quote is powerful as when things go wrong the experience does leave one questioning how could this have been done better or in a different way? We tend to remember things going wrong rather than going right. While I think it is best to look at the positives, it is good to look at when things go wrong to instruct and inform better future experiences.

In working with children with multiple disabilities for many years, I have experienced the ability to grow and learn in a small way each day. Most importantly, the power of being open to ideas of change and opportunities despite the individual skills. The potential is very individualized but the growth in any way is possible.

I agree. I believe failure, aka experiencing challenges, teaches humility. This quote reinforces the fact problems are often solved through trial and error.

I love the framing of failing with style!!!  It reminds me of the meme, “I’m not a hot mess, I’m a spicy disaster.”  The way we see ourselves is important- I try to stress with my students (and myself), we might fail, but that does not mean we are failures!

The quote is great if the person wants to learn from their failure and has a growth mindset. Some of our students do not, which is when they can benefit from our encouragement and motivation.

Hi Cynthia & Gordon!  On my better days, I remember that learning, like Gandalf the Wizard, is never late.  Nor is it early.  It arrives precisely when it is meant to.

Had to JOIN GROUP first–that could have been made clear earlier. So that was a frustrating ice breaker for me.

I think that failure provide you an opportunity to review your considerations regarding how you are learning and how you can be successful in your journey of higher education.

I appreciate you comment, Casandra, especially regarding agreeing and disagreeing. Absolutes tend to be intimidating and learning in an intimidating atmosphere is a difficult thing. Sometimes we need time to consider and reflect and then take action. Starting from a negative can be a tough place to grow from. I can see it working for some, but for others it can be disconcerting and it could reduce enthusiasm that is often key to learning and success. I think if we can appreciate and include positives as well as the negative, we can all learn more freely.

I agree with the quote–but to an extent. It also depends upon what that individual’s learning mind-set is leading up to the failure, and what support systems and role models that may have around them/influencing and supporting them. Sometimes success is a great “motivator” to learn from the failures we face. It’s a balance (in my perception).
    ☯️

I agree with the statement. There are so many times in my life when I was unsuccessful and those lessons I learned have allowed me to grow. On the flip side of the statement, the best student is one who learns from failure, which I constantly ask my students, ” what can you do differently”.

I agree Ryan, and the trick is to get to know what the students may be “coming into the classroom with” (and then how we should best support/work with them)… would you also agree that it’s a very individualized experience?

I love your discussion point about “reframing”, this also made me think about the fact that everyone would/could define failure differently. (As well as success, for that matter.) And many times, as educators/mentors/advisors–we have to learn how students see a failure or success from their perspective. Thanks for that thought!  💭

Best, Lianna

I can relate to this feeling as I am sure many others can as well. This reminds me of the quote, “if at first, you don’t succeed try, try again”.

Interesting concept. Not sure if I ever saw it that way, but it makes sense. I guess it depends on what you are failing or have failed at. Sometimes failing brings on more stress, but it is an opportunity to pivot and develop a skill or simply become a better person.