Public Group active 3 days, 2 hours ago

CUNY Learning Mindset Modules Group

This Discussion Forum for CUNY Learning Mindset Modules Group is visible to the general public. Anyone on the Internet can see the comments and discussion threads. But only Academic Commons members can join and leave the group, and participate in the discussion.

Admins:

1.1 Inspirational Quote

• 1.1 Inspirational Quote

Failure is a greater teacher than success.”

—  Clarissa Pinkola Estés

💬  Discussion:

1. Respond to this quote: Comment, reflect, agree/disagree, share a similar or contradictory quote, or provide an example to support or reject this quote. You may use text, video, audio, etc.
    2. Respond constructively and substantively (≥2 sentences) to another participant’s comments.
Viewing 3 replies - 151 through 153 (of 153 total)
  • I like to encourage students to take risks and not worry about not being perfect or making a mistake. I tell them that “progress not perfection” is the goal, and that we can learn from our mistakes.

I agree.  I’ve often heard/read the statement that “some students need to fail to learn” and I am still not 100% sure if that is true and/or helpful.  I teach at BMCC and for my students, like yours, the stakes can be very high when it comes to failing a class or multiple classes.  I assign very few failing grades but I inevitably do land up giving out some F grades.  I really worry about the effect a failing grade has on students.

I feel like I already responded to this quote, but apparently not! In any case, I agree that people may learn from their failures but I don’t want to “buy into” a mentality that poses failure as “necessary” in some way. I honestly believe that students live up or down to our expectations as educators, and if we see failure in a class as a “teaching tool,” I worry that students will unconsciously absorb that mentality. Plus, many of our students are undocumented or have financial aid dependent upon their GPA; in those cases, failure in a class may literally mean deportation or the complete loss of a life opportunity! I don’t know. Of course not every student can sucessfully pass every class but I think we should start out by assuming they all can and only assign failing grades in extreme circumstance.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.