CUNY Technology Group

Public Group active 2 days, 4 hours ago

Prospective Roundtable on Crowdsourcing in the Classroom

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #13291
    Sarah Ruth Jacobs
    Participant

Hi, would anyone be interested in joining a roundtable proposal on crowdsourcing in the classroom for the CUNY IT Conference? By crowdsourcing I mean a collaborative class project in any discipline where data or information was collected and/or formulated by the whole class or multiple classes. If you have any experience or insights into the pros and cons (not to mention the ethics) of this process and would like to speak on a prospective roundtable please email me with a sentence or two about your experience/angle: srujacobs at gmail dot com

#20280
    danreshef
    Participant

Hi Sarah, definitely interested and just sent you a note with some details.

#20281

I’m potentially interested in this, as well, Sarah; I’ll contact you off-list.

#20282
    Suzanne Tamang
    Participant

Why the use of the jargon? Why not cooperative design or collaborative development? I feel these are more indicative — someone interested in doing this type of work with their class wouldn’t know it was relevant. Jargon isn’t necessary and often results in making technology even more inaccessible to those that aren’t savvy.

#20283
    Bruce Naples
    Participant

I agree with Suzanne. In fact I think that the jargon adds a negative connotation to what has proven, in our case, to be an inspirational topic. We refer to our ongoing digital storytelling project as being interdisciplinary collaboration since it’s between students taking different courses and bringing their course’s perspective and experience to the topic.

#20284
    Walter Dufresne
    Participant

Pardon my digression: one useful history and definition of crowdsourcing is (of course) crowdsourced at the redoubtable wikipedia, at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowdsourcing
    I mention this because some number of self-selecting contributors have built and revised this single wikipedia entry more than five-hundred times in the last four years. I’ll have to attend Sarah’s proposed roundtable, if only to get ideas that would cause my students to plug away so industriously.

#20285

Sarah — I’ve been using “crowdsourcing” in a number of classes for a number of years, especially my online classes. Kate Moss and I have an online learning community (Research Methods and Digital Information link) where our students did both “crowdsourcing” and ePortfolios. If you are thinking of the Tuesday session, I would be very interested — probably for either session, but I don’t want to overcommit. I’m sure Kate would be interested. You can reach me at — Kate is on the Commons.
    Barbara

#20286
    Sarah Ruth Jacobs
    Participant

Crowdsourcing does have very different connotations than collaboration…I think the idea of crowdsourcing hints at a certain problem or research agenda that is decided from the top down. Yes, I saw the Wiki article, I think it’s telling that the creator of Wikipedia has spoken against crowdsourcing. I think it is useful to think of different types of collaborative work…actually the differences between types of collaboration would be great to talk about. Bnaples your project sounds great would you like to join in on the proposal?