Public Group active 3 months, 3 weeks ago

Computing Integrated Teacher Education (CITE) @ CUNY

Computing Integrated Teacher Education is a four-year initiative to support CUNY faculty at all ranks to integrate state standards aligned computing content and pedagogy into required education courses, field work and student teaching. Supported by public funding from the New York City Department of Education (NYC DOE) Computer Science for All (CS4All) program and private funding from the Robin Hood Learning + Technology Fund, the initiative will focus on building on and complementing the success of NYCDOE CS4All and pilots to integrate computational thinking at Queens College, Hunter College and Hostos Community College.

The initiative focuses on:
– Supporting institutional change in teacher education programs
– Building faculty computing pedagogical content knowledge through the lens of culturally response-sustaining education
– Supporting faculty research in equitable computing education, inclusive STEM pedagogies, and effects on their students’ instructional practices

Community of Practice (CoP) 2023-2024

• By now, folks are likely deep in artifact implementation. Things are likely going well, and also not so well (and that’s okay)!

🖋️ Post your problems of practice on this forum – anything from tech issues to teaching issues – to help get some conversations about your challenges going.

🗓️ The community will be invited to respond to your post and CUNY Central will find common issues and host meetups on Fridays 9:30-10:30am on the following Fridays:

• 10/20/2023
    • 10/27/2023
    • 11/10/2023
    • 11/17/2023
    • Spring dates are pending!

💡 Some ideas of things to post:

• Getting ready to teach the use of a tool and you want some guidance/support? Share the tool, describe your course and your students, and your learning goals/activity around computing.
    • Have trouble with a specific aspect of a tool? Can’t figure out how to do something? Share the tool, briefly describe what you are trying to do, and where you are getting stuck – include screenshots if you can!
    • Tried something and it didn’t go well? Tell us what you tried and what your goals were, how your students reacted with some evidence of their reaction, and any reflections, questions, or concerns that are top of mind.

If there’s a particular Friday (of those above) when you’d be available to talk about your problem of practice, share that in your post too!!

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Hi – It’s Laura Ascenzi-Moreno from Brooklyn College. Our current problem of practice is how to make what we’ve done sustainable. We are also thinking about assessment. But our biggest issue at the moment is time. Looking forward to getting some of this work done in January.

Forgot my College – CCNY

Medgar Evers College

Bud: implementing the revised version of my artifact now

Rose: not there yet

Thorn: student participation in discussion around the What’s in the Graph? even though we had deep conversations this summer

A bud – working on getting all students on board with the tool and contributing to the collection of language objectives

LaGuardia Community College

A bud: will be implementing next week, and am excited to see how it goes (second time around)

I’m implementing classroom management simulations using Teacher Moments.

Students loved to play with the simulations- a ROSE

They are struggling to create their own simulations. We need more time to learn the tech. – TORN

Learning about classroom management and algorithmic thinking- ROSE!!!

Hi — THORN . my project was based on a site visit to an infant classroom which we did pre-pandemic. Unfortunately, although fieldwork programs are happy to have students completing fieldwork hours, they are not interested in having students visit for 1 hour 1 time…  I have struggled to identify programs to host students…

A 🌹My students are having a great time creating podcast episodes. They stay after class and work collaboratively with each other. The conversations are filled with direct connections to content. I am not sure who is having more fun, me or them.

Hi!  Jody Resko from QCC.  I think my project is probably a bud (with some thorns).  Will need to revise/rethink a few things moving forward.

Implementing Storybird (digital storytelling) activity was a ROSE! It was a wonderful experience. Students worked in pairs, collaboratively to create their digital stories, using artwork from illustrators around the world. The activity was conducted over two weeks and the resulting digital picture books were beautiful and diverse and expressed students’ personalities and lives and cultures.

We did have some difficulties navigating the site, but we worked them out and I will take the students’ reflections into my next foray.

One of my colleagues also noted that there were not many illustrations that portrayed people of color. These illustrations are available on Storybird, and students chose which artwork they wanted to use, so I’m not sure why that happened. It’s something to explore going forward.

Hunter College
    A rose 🌹 – Getting clarity on what I want to do to improve the artifact – and the activities leading up to sharing it.
    A thorn 🧷 – I’m using my artifact in a year-long course, so I have to wait until next Fall to try it again…maybe with my summer ed tech class I could try a trial run, or a bud 🐛 I’m stewing on a resource for teachers to use after they try my artifact with a student.

Any learnings or problems of practice that are surfacing.
    Too much to list – I feel like I’m constantly learning as I see people try out what I made and I see it with a new perspective.

Did the students not participate? Any ideas what some of the root causes might be? Super curious since data literacy is something I value

A rose. No unanticipated problems due to great feedback from last summer. Changed my timeline based on the feedback and moving forward as planned.

Brooklyn College

A rose 🌹: students are engaging with the artifact, having fun with it

a thorn 🧷: having enough time to actually do everything

or a bud 🐛:  already thinking of modifications I will make for the next time I teach with this artifact

Hi everyone!

I am here from Lehman! I had such a great rose! I was super excited about teaching scratch, and I was really worried that my students wouldn’t be bought in. But in my class of 15, all of them are realllyyyy excited about learning scratch! They felt proud and excited to bring it into their classrooms!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.