Spring 2020 Sociology of Education

Group logo of Spring 2020 Sociology of Education

Option for class 4/22 PLEASE RESPOND

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #88177

Hello everyone. I hope this email finds you all safe and well. First, thank you to everyone for class this past Wednesday. Just a reminder to anyone who was not able to join the online session. If you have not emailed me to check in, please do so as soon as you can so I know you are well and can count you in attendance.

I would like to offer you all an option for this week instead of the scheduled readings/video. There is an online event this Wednesday, April 22, from 5-6:30 called “Remaking Schools in the Time of Coronavirus.” There are fee tickets available, and a link to the event a description are posted below. I think you’ll agree that it is very relevant to our class and our discussions. So this is what I would like to propose:

I plan on attending this discussion. If anyone would like to also attend (online of course), you can do this instead of completing this week’s readings. Additionally, if you attend and then write a brief summary and response (400-500 words) I will count this as your final writing assignment (meaning you do not have to write paper on charter schools).

Since I know everyone might not be able to make it at the scheduled time, this is completely optional. I just ask that if you do plan on attending you let me know. Also, whether you choose to attend and write about this event or do the charter school assignment, the deadline remains the same—you just need to get it to my by the end of the semester.

If you all could let me know what you think as soon as possible that will help me plan for this week. If you do decide to attend this event you DO NOT have to also log on to this week’s online chat (though of course you are welcome to if you want). Let me know if you have any questions.

Be well,
    Francine

Remaking Schools in the Time of Coronavirus
    https://www.eventbrite.com/e/remaking-schools-in-the-time-of-coronavirus-tickets-102588025546

Date And Time

Wed, April 22, 2020

5:00 PM – 6:30 PM EDT

About this Event

What has this crisis taught us about the role of public schools in society?

What have we learned about what really matters in education during this time?

When we re-open schools, what kind of education will we have, will we demand?

The Covid-19 crisis has upended public education around the country. Join three radical education activists in conversation about what this crisis means for public education now and how moving forward we can continue to fight for the schools our students deserve.

Francine Almash

Mellon Humanities Alliance Fellow
    PhD Student in Urban Education
    The Graduate Center-CUNY
    falmash@gradcenter.cuny.edu<mailto:falmash@gradcenter.cuny.edu>

#88193
    Brandy Calderon
    Participant

Thanks for the options Professor, I’ll be attending this event, it sounds very interesting! Good day.

#88197

Good afternoon professor I’ll be attending I have just bought the tickets thank you.

#88212

Hello Professor,

I purchased my ticket for the event on Wednesday. See you Wednesday.

#88213
    Carmen
    Participant

I will be attending. And just got my ticket. Thank you.

Get Outlook for iOS(https://aka.ms/o0ukef)

#88236
    Derly Val
    Participant

I’ll be attending the event, count me in I got my ticket …well for me that shouldn’t be a surprise(not BORED at all). Just kidding professor

#88237
    Lisbeth martinez
    Participant

Hello professor, I will be attending the meeting on 4/22 hope to see you there online lol

#88241
    Christine Diaz
    Participant

Hello Professor Francine,

I will be attending the online event.

Thank You,

Christine Diaz

#88249
    Christanya Symplice
    Participant

Hello Professor,

I will be attending the online event.

Thank You

#88250
    Danessa Ruffin
    Participant

Hi,

I will be attending the online event, on Wednesday.

#88281
    Maria V. Quiroz
    Participant

Hello Professor. I’ll be attending the event on Wednesday.

Sent from Outlook Mobile(https://aka.ms/blhgte)

#88438
    Franchesca Cruz
    Participant

Thank you for the options Professor. I will attend tonight’s 5-6:30pm online event.

#88439
    Huendy Medina
    Participant

Hello, professor, I will attend this event at 5:00 Pm. thanks for sharing. I hope everyone is well.