Centers for Teaching and Learning (CTL’s)

Public Group active 4 hours ago

Group logo of Centers for Teaching and Learning (CTL’s)

question about observations

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #52454

Friends,

I’ve been talking with a friend in the Provost’s office at Hunter about how to improve/expand feedback loops for teaching. She pointed me to an approach used at other campuses in which CTLs offer “formative assessments” (to use the lingo) early in the semester, visiting ongoing classes and talking with small groups of students about their learning.

We agree that the workload issues are insurmountable in thinking about scaling up an approach like this at our campus–our CTL is tiny and our faculty is vast, just like yours–but we started to imagine a better, richer form of the contract-mandated observations we already do.

So here’s the ask: how do y’all do observations? Is your CTL involved in any way in advising faculty on how to structure observations or reports? At Hunter, I think all faculty do it the way I do it in English: show up for a class, watch, and write a brief account of what happened, followed by a quick debrief. But there might be ways to make this laborious and time-consuming exercise more useful and effective, or so I imagine.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Jeff

This topic was also posted in: CUNY CTL Directors Council.
    #52456
    Jim Berg
    Member

That came up in a faculty discussion last week, and our CETLS at BMCC doesn’t currently do observations. We’re hoping to add a peer group trained to do non-judgmental feedback, as we do in our Teaching Academy.

This article by Kathleen Brinko was suggested as part of the discussion we had:

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00221546.1993.11778449?journalCode=uhej20

#52457

Thanks, Jim. I’ll take a look at the article for sure.

#53009

Hi Jeff,

Hostos has been implementing a thoughtfully designed peer observation program. I learned about this at the CUE Conference last year. Jacki DiSanto is leading the program (she was actually one of the presenters at the CTL Retreat last month), and she’s happy to talk to you about it.

Mari

#53081

Thanks! The Provost’s office has been thinking about this issue, so we will get in touch and see what Hostos has been doing.

JA

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.