Open at CUNY

Public Group active 1 week, 4 days ago

March meeting

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #23277

I know I said I’d take some notes at the last meetup, and I didn’t end up doing that during the meeting. But I wanted to write up a few thoughts about what we discussed.

We started off with a discussion of institutional repositories, both generally as a component of an open access strategy for colleges and universities as well as the possibility for an IR here at CUNY. Jill, Madeline, and I (among other CUNY library and non-library faculty) are on a UFS committee to explore getting an IR at CUNY, which arose out of the resolution in support of OA approved at the December 2011 meeting of the UFS. There’s a meeting of that committee on Monday 4/2, and we can update everyone after. As I think we mentioned at last month’s OA meetup, the plan for now is to write a proposal to bring in an external consultant to help us with our IR strategy, someone with more knowledge about the pros and cons of IR systems and staffing than we have on our committee.

As we’ve also discussed in the OA meetups this year, the CUNY Academic Commons could be a great way to add a social layer for an IR, enabling us to add functionality that is missing from many IR systems like following particular researchers or disciplines, commenting, etc.

We spent some time on the idea of both works in progress and open data, and whether either of those components of scholarly research could have a place in an IR at CUNY. It seems clear that both (though especially raw data) have the potential to gobble up lots of server space very quickly, so it might be prudent to start with finished work and expand to data and other uses once the IR is established.

As planned we also talked about open access textbooks and other educational materials. While we know that some faculty are using or creating open textbooks, given the high costs of textbooks for our students we agreed that it would be great if more courses could move to open materials. (And textbooks are problematic for libraries to provide for a variety of reasons, not least of which is that they’re consumables that don’t hold up for very long.) There are lots of open educational resources out there and also some intriguing new models, like the program at Temple University in which faculty are receiving stipends to prepare open textbooks for their classes (http://chronicle.com/blogs/wiredcampus/temple-project-ditches-textbooks-for-homemade-digital-alternatives/35247).

I’ve been chewing on thoughts about open access scholarly publishing, institutional repositories, and open curricular materials, and our discussions last week addressed many of the same themes. All of these taken together — let’s call it the scholarly communication system (though I’m not certain that’s the best term, as it seems somewhat unclear and too library-ish) — touch many different parts of the university. Faculty research and publishing fall under Research and Academic Affairs, textbooks are relevant to Student Affairs, IRs and other technical tools (publishing systems like OJS, e.g.) may be the purview of CIS.

What if we brought all of these components together into one big open system for scholarly communication at CUNY? An institutional repository to gather and preserve the scholarly output of the university, plus journal and book publishing platforms to enable us to publish scholarly work, too. Textbook and other course resources created by CUNY faculty for CUNY students. A CUNY Press, perhaps?

And what if this lived under the Libraries? Traditionally it’s been libraries that have collected and provided access to the products of the scholarly communication system: the books, journals, and other materials needed by faculty and students to do academic work. This is not at all a novel proposition: many university libraries are implementing systems that incorporate at least some of these components, like the University of Michigan (http://www.lib.umich.edu/mpublishing) and Indiana University (http://scholarworks.iu.edu/). While neither university’s system includes textbooks specifically, I think course materials are a natural addition, especially at CUNY with our strong commitment to teaching as well as research.

An open scholarly communication system for CUNY wouldn’t be free, of course, though there are many free open source software applications that could be used to build such a system. And a CUNY Press would be a boon to faculty, students, and staff at the university, consistent with the university’s mission to provide affordable access to higher education for all.

#23278

Maura, I think this is a visionary idea. You visionary thinker, you!

#23279
    Beth Evans
    Participant

Maura’s idea: “What if we brought all of these components together into one big open system for scholarly communication at CUNY? An institutional repository to gather and preserve the scholarly output of the university, plus journal and book publishing platforms to enable us to publish scholarly work, too. Textbook and other course resources created by CUNY faculty for CUNY students. A CUNY Press, perhaps?”

Moving on this takes us down four paths where some work has already been done. We have a number of things we can build on or use as a starting point.

1. Journals – OJS at the grad center and elsewhere; partner with/convince non-OJS CUNY journals (e.g., Centro Journal) to make the switch

2. Book Press – Get Feminist Press (Hunter) on board; provide them with models (OA, hybrid OA); see what else is going on with CUNY publishing. Here’s a peculiar, rather empty document that might be worth investigating: http://inside.jjay.cuny.edu/compendium/assets/PDFs/JohnJay/IA.003%20-%20The%20CUNY%20Press.pdf

3. IR – Publicize active systems in CUNY (e.g., Lehman) and get faculty to pledge future participation at a time when a robust CUNY system is in place. Especially identify faculty publishing already in IR’s related to their disciplines.

4. Textbooks – Pilot with any in place. Jill did a panel with a faculty in math at Brooklyn College who seems to have gotten one going. Find others.

We have good starting points if we want to propose such a many-headed hydra.

Beth

#23280

I’m down with a lot of this. My only concern, I guess, is that an “open scholarly communications platform” is exactly how we tend to describe the CUNY Academic Commons (not only what it is, but what we want it to grow to be). Of course, I wouldn’t presume to say that the Commons has any kind of exclusive purchase on scholarly communications at CUNY (!), but I do think we’ve demonstrated an ability to build out a successful open scholarly communication platform and I’d be interested in thinking through how the system you describe might take advantage of it in various ways.

#23281

@Maura=>definitely visionary.

#23282
    Darrow Wood
    Member

Haven’t we all heard via the grapevine that for 2012-13 CUNY Central may once again bestow on our libraries handsome sums for … drumroll … textbooks? Yes, we have. And not withstanding that many of us hope for ample wriggle room so as to patch up oft neglected monographic collections, is it not clear that CUNY finds adequate resources when it wants to? Such as for an effort on behalf of students a la Temple but bigger and better and with real PR clout?

#23283

In addition to all the open access publishing options that CUNY could offer/host, maybe CUNY could add to this cluster of projects a fund for helping faculty publish in OA journals published by others — i.e., a fund to help cover OA article publication fees. Quite a few colleges/universities have funds like this, and some have even signed something called the Compact for Open Access Publishing Equity (http://www.oacompact.org/), which commits the institutions to “the timely establishment of durable mechanisms for underwriting reasonable publication charges for articles written by its faculty and published in fee-based open-access journals and for which other institutions would not be expected to provide funds.” (Note: I believe all the schools that signed this will only pay fees for publishers that are members of the Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association (OASPA), which does not include predatory OA publishers, and also only for publishers that are willing to waive fees for those who cannot afford them.)

A lot more CUNY-generated research would end up in green OA journals if CUNY could pay the publication fees!

#23284

OOPS! I meant: “A lot more CUNY-generated research would end up in *GOLD* OA journals if CUNY could pay the publication fees!”

I was temporarily colorblind.

#23285

All really good, inspiring thoughts, y’all!

I wonder if there could also be a CUNY fund (or whether our textbook $$ could be diverted) to create free/open source software that could support such a thing as Maura is suggesting? As Jill describes above, it could be a fund in support of development to work on/collaborate on this CMS (or whatever it will ultimately be)?

I’m interested in exploring our dreams of what we would like this system to be more rather than trying to make it fit into what (software) already exists–but I admit as a non-techie I might be suggesting that this become a much larger project?

And in terms of what Matt describes about CAC, could this be something that works with the Commons instead of replacing it?

Lots of food for thought for the next meeting!

#23286

@alycia I am not sure if we need to build an open source software platformbecause there are ones that already exist (for example: http://calibre-ebook.com/) . I feel, it is more important to get folks on-board and establish clearly defined commitments, procedures and workflows because even if you build does not necessarily mean folks would use.

#23287

+1 to Alycia’s comment, this has been a great discussion!

Like Alycia, I’d hope that we could build something that would work with the Commons. We could use the IR as the “bucket” — the place to store files, which we need regardless as a place for us to deposit articles, files, etc. published in venues outside of whatever CUNY system we’re building. Then there could be several systems that work with/overlay the IR. I think the profiles and other social networking features of the Commons make that a natural to work with the IR. And I know there’s some publishing happening here too — the excellent JITP, for example — but might there also be a place for an OJS installation that everyone at CUNY could use that wasn’t on the Commons? And PKP’s Open Monograph Press or other solutions for books and textbooks (perhaps something like PressForward or Anthologize)? Each of these systems could perhaps use the IR to store/manage/preserve files, and give folks flexibility for how they wanted to publish their stuff.

Re: possibilities for funding open textbooks, would that be something we could request from the Student Tech Fee?

I also agree with Jill that an OA publishing fund would be of great value for encouraging open access publications by faculty.

#23288

Policy Guidelines for the development and promotion of Open Access. UNESCO (2012)

UNESCO issued this publication to demystify the concept of Open Access (OA) and to provide concrete steps on putting relevant policies in place. The Policy Guidelines can be used by individuals as a basic text on Open Access and related policies. The publication will be useful to both the beginners as well as experienced in the world of Open Access, and will assist the decision-makers, administrators and research managers to focus on OA policy development.

I recommend reading at least parts of this report, especially Section 2, Approaches to Open Access, which talks about “gold” and “green” OA. There’s a lot in here on repositories. What I liked is the clear language and inclusion of pros and cons. I just skimmed some sections but I think this is a worthwhile document for understanding OA.
    Here is the link to download the report:
    http://tinyurl.com/7j83jyy

#23289

Wow, this is great, Madeline. Not insignificant to read, but I’ve added to the top of my to-read list!