Public Group active 1 year, 4 months ago

WordPress HELP!!

This group is for neophytes to WordPress who are trying to use it as a Bbd alternative and have questions that “everyone knows” the answers to already. Except those who don’t. Quick answers to specific questions is what I envision here, so we can set up our courses without spending hours trying to find out a simple answer. Of course, we NEED EXPERTS in the group to actually answer the questions. All experts and neophytes please join this group!!

Admins:

Customize theme installation

• Hello everyone:

I need to get under the hood of a WP theme I activated for a group blog. Is it possible to do this? I don’t see the area where you can normally access php/header/footer files in the dashboard.

Viewing 13 replies - 61 through 73 (of 73 total)

oops – looks like the tags got stripped out – they are ul and li, surrounded by greater than and lesser than signs

Thanks, Scott. I finally figured it out. Because I do not like it to be a list, so if I put the lines into paragraphs, they skip lines (like you did in the sandbox), so I put them into div s and defined padding-left. Here is the codex – I did a screenshot. But I still think this is a bug for this theme, because I put them between p with greater than and lesser than signs, and they worked fine in another theme. Thanks.

Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.

I’m putting together a simple web page to serve as a schedule of speakers for a seminar series. This page will get updated each semester to reflect the new seminar series. I’m using the Atahualpa theme, because it seems pretty flexible and I need to strip most of the bells and whistles. I’d like to have a right hand panel which includes an archive of past speakers and a few links, but I’m having trouble tailoring it the way I’d like, does anyone know how to remove the “New Posts” header? It isn’t appropriate for this relatively static page.

http://nsssyork.commons.gc.cuny.edu/

TLDR: How do I remove the New Posts header in the right-hand panel of the Atahualpa theme?

Hi Arne – Do you mean “Recent Posts”? (these can be controlled in the Widget area). But I clicked on your link but didn’t see the “New Posts”. Also could be because you are the admin for the site, and can add New Posts (and I can’t – so it is not visible). You could log out and then come back in and see if it disappears. Maybe you can provide a screen shot of what you are seeing?

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your reply. I had totally removed the right panel, which is why you didn’t see “Recent Posts”. I’ve added the right panel again. “Recent posts” is still there when I log off. ScreenShot2.

I’ve checked out the widgets, and the right panels do not have any widgets loaded. See ScreenShot1.

I’d like to remove “Recent Posts” but keep “York College Links”.

Thank you for your input.

Arne

Attachments:

Hi Arne,

Since, as admin on the site, I have admin privileges on all blogs, I took the liberty of looking at your dashboard and fixing the problem. As shown in the screenshot you took, you had the “Links” widget in the “Left Sidebar” area rather than the “Right Sidebar” area, where you wanted it to appear. Moving “Links” to the right sidebar area fixed the problem; when I look at the blog now, all I see are the York College links.

Please let us know whether we can help you in any other way!!

Best,

Matt

Thanks Matt!

Question 1.

Am I posting requests for assistance in the right place?

Question 2.

How do I remove the gray borders from images in my post (Shot1). I’ve removed the link from the image (Shot2) and set the borders to “0” (Shot3).

Thanks,
Arne

Attachments:

Hi Arne – The format of this thread is a little messed up. I am going to open another thread, so we can better communicate.