WordPress HELP!!

Public Group active 1 year ago

Customize theme installation

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #13434

Hello everyone:

I need to get under the hood of a WP theme I activated for a group blog. Is it possible to do this? I don’t see the area where you can normally access php/header/footer files in the dashboard.

#20523

Hi Shawn,

Unless you’re using a theme like Atahualpa (http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/atahualpa) that enables changes (in CSS, at least) from the dashboard, this is not something we normally allow members to do.

This is a security measure — if we allowed members to have direct access to theme php files, we’d compromise the security of the site.

However, what you can do is create a child theme (http://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes) of a parent theme. As long as the Development team approves it, we can then upload the child theme to the site so that you can use it.

Let me know what you think and feel free to contact me by email to discuss this in further detail.

Best,

Matt

#20524

Thanks Matt! I’ll start with the path of least resistance and experiment with Atahualpa. I like their special customization menu. Looks robust.

#20525

Hi All:

I’ve been using Atahualpa 3.3.3 as my theme (formerly 3.3.2) as per Matt’s suggestion. Everything has been great until this morning, when I noticed that my custom header graphic is no longer available, as well as my group’s logo. In the Dashboard, the Atahualpa customization menu is completely gone (the one touting over 200 customization options). Do you know what could have caused this?

#20526

Apologies, Shawn. It sounds like this is related to our recent upgrade. We’ll work on the issue and update this thread soon.

#20527

Hi Shawn and others using Atahualpa: please follow this ticket on our ticketing website for progress on this issue: http://redmine.gc.cuny.edu/issues/show/461

#20528

Thanks for having that addressed and fixed so quickly. The theme option menu has been restored, but sadly it’s no longer handling image uploads the way it used to…in order to use a custom header and logo, I now need to access the theme directory: /atahualpa/images/ and upload my images to that directory (where previously I could upload it in the Media section of Dashboard and it would make the connection). Do you know what I should do?

#20529

The same applies to header images: .

“All header images are located in /wp-content/themes/atahualpa/images/header/. All images in that directory will be rotated. If you don’t want rotating header images, leave only one image in that directory.”

#20530
    Aaron Kendall
    Participant

Shawn, I’m having the same problems with Atahualpa, thanks for posting here.

Question: how does one access the directory you mentioned above /wp-content/themes/atahualpa/images/header/?

#20531

Hi – I’m using Atahualpa (but don’t use the rotating slideshow).
    For the custom header area I use (under “Logo Area: Styling”):

background-image: url(http://codex.commons.gc.cuny.edu/files/2010/08/codexBackground3.png)

And for the logo I just use the full url (under “Show Logo Image”):
    http://codex.commons.gc.cuny.edu/files/2010/08/cunyLogo.jpg

Do you use the rotator? I will look to see how to configure that.

#20532
    Aaron Kendall
    Participant

I’m not using the slideshow either, but my header still scrolls through various scales and zooms of my one header image… Anyone know what causes that?

#20534

Hi Aaron – You have a really cool blog! And I can see that there are problems with the header. I know that Atahualpa documentation says that the %image can be static, and I think that’s what you’re doing here – but I can’t really tell. Maybe there’s a problem that causes it to scale like that – I need to do some more testing. But one suggestion (i.e. – a quick fix) would be to set the “Header: Image Height” to 0 and use the “%logo” area instead.
    “%logo” includes both the logo itself (which you can leave blank) and the logo background image which you can specify under “Logo Area: Styling.”

This is the way I do it in my blog – See Attached screenshot.

Just wanted to mention that we now have a really easy to use Google maps plug-in – I would really find it interesting to see the areas you work in!

#20535

Another screenshot

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #20537
    Aaron Kendall
    Participant

Thanks Scott! I’ll give it a try.

#20538
    Rowena Li
    Member

I made a blog with this theme (gslis751.commons.gc.cuny.edu), but my blog title and tagline show up a few seconds and disappear behind the image. I have

HEADER AREA> style and edit HEADER AREA >configure Header Area as %bar1 %image %bar2 %pages

Logo area – blank
    Show logo image -blank
    Show blog title – no
    blog Tagline – no
    Search Box – yes

HEADER AREA > Header image >
    Header image with Javascript – 3
    Face in/out – 4
    preload header image -yes
    Header image clickable – no
    Header image hight – 150
    Header image alignment – top left
    Opacity Left – blank
    Opacity right – blank
    Overlay blog title over header images – yes
    Overlay blog tagline over header images – yes
    Overlay blog title style:

margin-top: 40px;
    margin-left: 20px;

padding: 7px;
    background: #ffffff;

filter: alpha(opacity=60);
    -moz-opacity:.60;
    opacity:.60;
    -moz-border-radius: 7px;
    -khtml-border-radius: 7px;
    -webkit-border-radius: 7px;
    border-radius: 7px;

I cannot figure out what the problem is. And I would like to delete the two black bars behind the screen. How do I do that?

Thanks.