Public Group active 1 day, 3 hours ago

CUNY Learning Mindset Modules Group

This Discussion Forum for CUNY Learning Mindset Modules Group is visible to the general public. Anyone on the Internet can see the comments and discussion threads. But only Academic Commons members can join and leave the group, and participate in the discussion.

Admins:

2.4 Discussion Board II: Motivation (Required to earn certificate)

• πŸ’¬ Discussion:

• To effectively promote learning mindsets to students it is helpful to adopt them & use them in your own life. When you learn how to make value connections in your own work, the easier it will be for you to assist students.
    • Think of a time when you had to do something you did not want to and were successful. How did you navigate that challenge? By what means did you transition from, β€œI don’t want to do this.” to β€œI want to do this.”? Where did you find the motivation? How did you stay engaged?
Viewing 7 replies - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • I like your idea of blocking out time for the task to commit yourself to do it. This is something I need to get better at doing myself.

There was some great discussion on this in our breakout room. Group work is (almost) always difficult but also such an important skill. Your story also speaks to the “failure is a greater teacher than success” quote, where you can learn about yourself and how to work better in a group in the future if your group has problems than if it goes smoothly.

When I do group projects I also find that defined roles, clear rubrics and the chance for them to give feedback on each other and themselves are all important.

I like the idea of giving yourself mini awards for achieving a goal and thinking about success in degrees rather than absolutes.

Love the idea of using humor! I am going to use the snarky voice technique! Thanks for making me laugh out loud πŸ™‚

I teach at 8 a.m., which is not the best time for me or our students. We all begin with a mental health check-in, which helps us focus on the task.

Part of my procrastination was watching time management videos on YouTube (lol). The strategies (provided you follow through) are surprisingly helpful.

How to shift from ‘I don’t want to to this’ to ‘I want to do this.’ Someone else mentioned that having a sense of humor helps; it does help me get over it if I find myself avoiding or procrastinating on a task, to be able to recognize that the task isn’t so big or scary after all and laugh a little at my resistance to it. In graduate school, one of the best pieces of practical advice I got was to break big tasks down into smaller tasks (I think my advisor had seen too many students freeze while working on their dissertations when they got up in the morning and thought, “Today I have to write chapter 3!,” which is too big of a task to take on as a whole. I started then to make a daily to-do list, and I still do.