CUNY Learning Mindset Modules Group

Group logo of CUNY Learning Mindset Modules Group

1.8 Fostering a Growth Mindset with Course Policies & Activities

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #164406

💬  Reflection/Discussion:

• Which specific policies and activities do you intend to try in order to create a growth mindset-supportive learning environment? Why?
    #165064

I would love to explore helping students set SMART goals with their educators at the beginning of the semsester (or without). This seems like a very concrete tool that can give them ownership over their learning.

#165355

I have found it quite helpful to create experiential learning opportunities for my students and allow them to revise their assignments to boost their grades. They usually respond positively when I create assignments that challenge them to connect what we are learning in class to developing strategies for addressing specific issues in their communities (i.e., identifying problems, mapping resources, and developing advocacy plans). Doing so gives them a sense of purpose in their learning.

#165583
    Seth Lehman
    Member

I find that growth mindset fits very well with the concepts of standards-based or mastery grading, and I’ve begun offering frequent quizzes in my college algebra classes that assess specific content standards. Students receive a grade of “Check-Minus”, “Check”, or “Check-Plus” and can retake a different version of each quiz at any point in order to show me that they have improved their understanding of any given standard. I tweak this process a little bit each semester, but at this point, I still convert the mastery grades into a numerical grade at the end of the semester based largely on how many of the standards students have mastered.

#165584
    Seth Lehman
    Member

This is an exciting idea, but I imagine it would take significant discussion and investment on the part of the educator to help ensure that each students’ chosen goals are within the scope of the course. Can anyone chime in who has done this with their students? What does that goal-setting process look like?

#165738
    Danesh
    Participant

In the past, I have experimented with ungrading in some of my classes. I have explained to students that ungrading encourages students to focus on the process of learning, rather than on the grade itself. I can improve upon my implementation of ungrading by relating it directly to  growth mindset. When discussing ungrading at the beginning of the semester, I can tell students that the goal is to see mistakes as learning opportunities. Students are not penalized for making mistakes or facing challenges in their learning process, but are instead encouraged to take the necessary steps to overcome challenges.

#165942

I think that goal setting is so important. In this context, it could be helpful to have students learn not only about how to develop and follow through on achievable goals, but also to have students understand the science of setting goals – basically the research that supports the use of goal setting to increase motivation and more.

I also wonder if it might be helpful to ask students to set goals for the course specifically (which can evolve as they learn) as well as a larger student and/or personal goal?

#165944

This really resonates with me as I am always looking for ways that students can engage in experiential opportunities that allow them to apply course learning in real-life contexts. If you have any examples of any of the work your students have done on the Open Lab (or other places) and are willing to share, it would be interesting to see!

#165950

Ungrading is a complex process, and I appreciate how you are exploring it with your students. For me, I continue to try to shift the focus from a letter or number back to the objectives, process, and personal reflection on learning. There are some interesting resources on the Open Lab that you might find helpful, too.

#166534
    Seth Lehman
    Member

On the first day of my college algebra class, I let students out of class 10 minutes early with the assignment to form groups and take a selfie of their group in front of the Math Lab, an academic tutoring center on campus, and my office door. I tell them the next day, “These are the places to get help this semester, and now you know where to find them!” The purpose of this activity is largely to help students begin to develop effective strategies for learning by giving them a point of connection with the resources that exist on campus.

I also like the idea of exam wrappers and often give one that includes asking students to reflect on their performance, describe how they prepared for the exam (and how much time they spent preparing), and make study commitments/goals as they look ahead to the next exam.

#166543

Seth – I love this idea! It is so helpful to students to give them in-class time to make groups and form a plan/schedule to work. That is often the hardest part – especially for students who might not know many people in the class. I have done resource photo scavenger hunts with students on the first day of class, but I like how connected this is to the current task at hand. I am going to add this idea to my toolbox. Thanks for sharing!