Public Group active 5 months, 4 weeks ago

Computing Integrated Teacher Education (CITE) @ CUNY

Computing Integrated Teacher Education is a four-year initiative to support CUNY faculty at all ranks to integrate state standards aligned computing content and pedagogy into required education courses, field work and student teaching. Supported by public funding from the New York City Department of Education (NYC DOE) Computer Science for All (CS4All) program and private funding from the Robin Hood Learning + Technology Fund, the initiative will focus on building on and complementing the success of NYCDOE CS4All and pilots to integrate computational thinking at Queens College, Hunter College and Hostos Community College.

The initiative focuses on:
– Supporting institutional change in teacher education programs
– Building faculty computing pedagogical content knowledge through the lens of culturally response-sustaining education
– Supporting faculty research in equitable computing education, inclusive STEM pedagogies, and effects on their students’ instructional practices

Module 1 – Lehman

• Reply to this post with a response to the prompts below by the module due date.

• Introduce yourself with your name, college, role(s)
    • Share the rationale cards you kept in your hand all the way to the end of the game. Why did you keep these to the end? Why did you discard particular cards?
    • What connections can you make between the values you reviewed and the examples from people’s digital lives?
    • How did you interact with the game? What worked / didn’t work about our game prototype? Did you follow the rules as written? Did you “tinker” with the algorithm (rules) of the game? If so, how?
Viewing 3 replies - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 18 and 37 reminded me of you so much!!! I combined them and made one card! Also, I am glad we are both cheaters (.aka tinkerers)

When I first received the cards, I thought I’d never be able to make decisions from among them because I wasn’t sure what my interests were. But then I started separating out my choices, and the reasons for my selections became clear –creative self-expression and story-telling (#16, 18, 30, 35, 43) resonated for me. I also enjoyed the game of taking and discarding cards, weighing my choices and making decisions. It was both enjoyable and instructive for me. I also appreciated reading the graphic novel, “Power On!” that was at my level, and raised issues in computing of which I had only been peripherally aware. My favorite frame is the last one, on p33, with the girl’s bangs splayed on her desk – genius!

This post has attachments:<br aria-hidden=”true” />AZA.jpg

I labeled categories using perspective to guide my grouping. So…

20 represents a teacher’s perspective. 

37 represents a learning practice perspective for a learner who is a teacher, class student, or parent.

24 represents a community perspective in a digital environment where individuals “show up” in healthy ways forming a collective. 

43 represents an equity perspective through sharing a stage. 

22 is a contextual perspective where complex systems code culture and the forms of power driving dominant values. 

What content do we want to learn? Why do we want to learn this content? How is learning enriching our individual and shared lived experiences?