Public Group active 3 months, 3 weeks ago

Computing Integrated Teacher Education (CITE) @ CUNY

Computing Integrated Teacher Education is a four-year initiative to support CUNY faculty at all ranks to integrate state standards aligned computing content and pedagogy into required education courses, field work and student teaching. Supported by public funding from the New York City Department of Education (NYC DOE) Computer Science for All (CS4All) program and private funding from the Robin Hood Learning + Technology Fund, the initiative will focus on building on and complementing the success of NYCDOE CS4All and pilots to integrate computational thinking at Queens College, Hunter College and Hostos Community College.

The initiative focuses on:
– Supporting institutional change in teacher education programs
– Building faculty computing pedagogical content knowledge through the lens of culturally response-sustaining education
– Supporting faculty research in equitable computing education, inclusive STEM pedagogies, and effects on their students’ instructional practices

Module 3 — Hunter College

• Background

• The design process is at the center of our work together this summer.

Task

• We invite you to visually represent or model your own design process using some digital tool.
    • You can capture how you design or make anything — whether it’s related to your work as a teacher educator or not.
    • You can share your typical design process, or create a vision for a more idealized or aspirational design process.
    • We think doing this will help you learn a new digital tool, and to help you think intentionally about your design process in advance of our work together this summer.

To complete this task:

To visualize your design process, select and use a digital tool  – preferably one that’s new to you or that you want more practice with. You can use one of the ones we recommend below, or locate your own.

NOTE: Some of these require you to create accounts. If you’d like, take a look at the privacy policies of these tools to see if the benefits of signing up would outweigh the risks for you.

Stuck?

• Consult any online tutorials the tool may have on their site
    • Try sketching something on paper first, or do some free-writing to generate ideas about how you generally go about design!
    • Make multiple “rapid prototype” iterations until something feels right.
    • If you’re stuck on something, we encourage you to troubleshoot. Google around, use your colleagues as resources, or go to our help sessions on Mondays!

To Share:

• Reply to this thread.
    • Add a brief reflection:
      • Share something new you learned about the tool you used.
      • Did you look at the privacy policy? Did anything stand out there?
      • Share any limitations of the tool that you used that you discovered.
    • You can share your work as a link, or an attachment to this discussion thread
    • If you’d like to embed an image in your post, you’ll have to upload it somewhere first (for example at imgur). Then use the image icon in the discussion forum to link to it.
Viewing 8 replies - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Hi, everyone!

Wow! I explored all of the tools to help conceptualize my artifact for the summer. Some were familiar, others, not so much. While I did not narrow down my choices, I had fun!

The Leading for Equity framework (act-see-engage) can guide students in creating pathways to equitable math instruction for children in Kindergarten-Grade 2. The framework provides a foundation for students to reference as they plan their lessons, while also offering opportunities for ongoing self-reflection on their own biases as they seek to develop an anti-racist/anti-bias math practice.

The Leading for Equity framework provides students with a method for deepening content understanding; creating environments and practices that support children’s social, emotional and content development; and connecting English language learning and the development of mathematical thinking.

My plan is to build on what the students already know and have a familiarity with. This was such an exhilarating exercise and I am looking forward to begin working on my artifact.

~ Carmen

Jamboard: https://jamboard.google.com/d/119OBvPEKXZFA4ovuJnpgBN0E1s-RgUPY9jUu-gmg6dc/viewer?f=0

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

In my limited career – I have used – participated in a lot of different approaches to design. Some were aligned to the the ideas of viral justice, speculate everything as well as the student surfacing thinking around Skratch – others are more inquiry based on some like on my dissertation are around the multimodal design – I am sharing an inquiry – design project that I did (shared) as part of a larger Connected Arts Network (that includes 50 National Theatre Teachers) – I am sharing the context in PPT – but the student video is really the interesting part of multimodal design –

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1fmptut7LXyOm26AZrOTS9KXa68bOkYVdghFqaYpTRSQ/edit?usp=sharing

I decided to show you how I assemble my outfits for the jazz age lawn party. I think the processes we go through daily reveal a lot about our learning/ working styles. Think about the way you cook, plan you trips, food shop and assemble your outfits for the next day? Does your brain tend to work in a similar way doing these daily activities. I think teacher candidates need to learn about themselves to become confident and efficient lesson/unit planners. Not one person plans in the same way just like not one person does the laundry the same way.  It’s essential to self assess, reflect and understand yourself to be able to collaborate. Here is my process:

Attachments:

Hi everyone,

Still catching up here!  I tried Miro and Loppy since they were new tools for me.  I found Loppy pretty limiting because it was just about circles.  Meh. I was initially excited about Miro especially the idea of making a kind of card game and the interaction/collaboration factor.  However, when I tried to redo some cards in a template I found that they were fixed graphic cards and I could not edit the text on the card.  Bummer. So in the end I was underwhelmed and went back to a tool I knew for infographics, Canva. I messed around with animation more than I had in the past, and tried to make something I might use in the Literacy and Tech class I teach.  I still don’t think it is exactly what I want to portray in terms of a process for finding the right text for readers.  My students make a text set and I always like them to visualize a recursive process when it comes to finding texts kids would like to learn from. Even though I have some limited animation here, it is not that exciting and the text is too small to read when animated as a video…  In terms of privacy — for tools like these I am always using school accounts. I was not surprised by the way they are using info to third parties.  When I ask my students to tell true stories about themselves I use tech like BookCreator because of privacy settings I like better than these tools.

Oh, and my process of design?  I like game design because I get to PLAY!

Attachments:

Hello Rhonda – I was browsing around different forums and your post caught my attention with the phrase “AI-powered classroom.” I’m so curious about what you posted. Is it about preparing teacher candidates to teach in a virtual classroom with a class environment and avatars? Do you recommend any good introductory sources for this?

I’m going to be in the AI camp and hope it comes up there as well.

Thanks!

Casandra

(York College)

Hi everyone. Kristen’s beautiful image of her garden design process inspired me to try out Canva. I used a “timeline template” to illustrate how I thought about designing, implementing, and revising the new HTPA that we piloted this past Spring in our Bilingual Education Student Teaching Seminar/Practicum. The link to the document is below:

https://www.canva.com/design/DAFmkpbKr5k/bjIV2lAta-cMI9SRX2hwLw/edit?utm_content=DAFmkpbKr5k&utm_campaign=designshare&utm_medium=link2&utm_source=sharebutton

I didn’t read their privacy policy because… it seems we have to “accept all cookies” nowadays on every site, no? Do we even have a choice anymore with regards to our privacy? However, I did check out the settings on my new Canva account. I always turn off notifications and I unsubscribe from email updates when I register for a new app/site. For example, I opted out of Canva’s “insights collection.” I can’t deal with an unruly email inbox! 😀

I am interested in digital notebooks (dNB) in teaching and learning science, particularly in high school settings. I have created two iterations of dNB. Each dNB was created using Google Slides. Google Slides allow real-time collaboration among users. I read the privacy policy. One thing that stood out to me is that users are reassured that the work done on the application is private, and they have control over who has access to the task. A huge drawback to using Google Slides is the necessity of an internet connection to use the platform. Although recently, Google applications have been allowing users to work offline. I have yet to explore this option. In the Google Slide presentation that I attached to this post are hyperlinks to dNB iterations 1.0 and 2.0.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1hDyjT3bQHnHTNRgVIryXGi2WHp5mj2M4r2jn6nXZeK8/edit?usp=sharing

For this module I decided to use Canva for the first time. I “tinkered” with Jamboard and Loopy, but ultimately chose Canva because it was the easiest to operate as a beginner-and visually appealing for a step-process approach. I also think this would be helpful for my teacher candidates to in turn use with their own students, and I could easily see myself incorporating it into an assignment.

https://www.canva.com/design/DAFmvv6dlR0/Tj5x-uWR5963KojCHY401A/view?utm_content=DAFmvv6dlR0&utm_campaign=designshare&utm_medium=link&utm_source=publishsharelink