Public Group active 4 months, 3 weeks ago

Computing Integrated Teacher Education (CITE) @ CUNY

Computing Integrated Teacher Education is a four-year initiative to support CUNY faculty at all ranks to integrate state standards aligned computing content and pedagogy into required education courses, field work and student teaching. Supported by public funding from the New York City Department of Education (NYC DOE) Computer Science for All (CS4All) program and private funding from the Robin Hood Learning + Technology Fund, the initiative will focus on building on and complementing the success of NYCDOE CS4All and pilots to integrate computational thinking at Queens College, Hunter College and Hostos Community College.

The initiative focuses on:
– Supporting institutional change in teacher education programs
– Building faculty computing pedagogical content knowledge through the lens of culturally response-sustaining education
– Supporting faculty research in equitable computing education, inclusive STEM pedagogies, and effects on their students’ instructional practices

Module 7 — Queensborough Community College

• After reviewing the visual resource, “Powering Connections: Teacher candidate perspectives on Computer Integrated Technology”, please respond to the following questions in this thread:

What are your thoughts on the teacher candidate visual resource? What surprised you? What resonated with you? What other perspectives do you wish had been included?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • So, after reading through the teacher perspectives, I think my thoughts largely concern the ethics involved in the using, sharing and/or communicating in the digital world.  Students, as well as, the teachers who serve them need to clearly understand the great ethical responsibility that comes with using and creating digital content.  I don’t think enough is done in this area.  Privacy can be invaded, their own security or the security of others is at risk and this generally goes unheeded.  In looking at the visual resources provided, I can certainly align myself with Warrick, the student from Hostos CC.  I thought that his professor gave a digital use assignment that was so important and enabled Warrick to consider digital safety issues.  This is only one area that is an issue for me in navigating technology with children.  Another big issue for me is the lack of research yet on the influence of technology use on children’s and teen’s attention spans, decrease in short term memory among children and the possibility of delayed development of social skills.  I believe that these areas need to be studied as we work through the use of technology in schools.

What are your thoughts on the teacher candidate visual resource?

I thought the visual resource was interesting and provided an easy way to understand the information from a student perspective.

What surprised you?

I was not surprised by much of what students had to say. Many of the experiences are shared by my students as well and will come up throughout the semester as we discuss different topics.  This is also what resonated with me the most.  That students are having these shared experiences and need a space to discuss these important issues that are having an impact on their education.

What other perspectives do you wish had been included?

The student who described her experience with the smartboard and feeling discouraged was the most memorable to me.  I would like to hear more about teachers’ experiences and feelings of being discouraged by technology.  I think the day-to-day struggles that teachers face while trying to incorporate technology are important to share so that individuals will not internalize these struggles and view themselves as “failures”.