Public Group active 3 months, 4 weeks ago

Computing Integrated Teacher Education (CITE) @ CUNY

Computing Integrated Teacher Education is a four-year initiative to support CUNY faculty at all ranks to integrate state standards aligned computing content and pedagogy into required education courses, field work and student teaching. Supported by public funding from the New York City Department of Education (NYC DOE) Computer Science for All (CS4All) program and private funding from the Robin Hood Learning + Technology Fund, the initiative will focus on building on and complementing the success of NYCDOE CS4All and pilots to integrate computational thinking at Queens College, Hunter College and Hostos Community College.

The initiative focuses on:
– Supporting institutional change in teacher education programs
– Building faculty computing pedagogical content knowledge through the lens of culturally response-sustaining education
– Supporting faculty research in equitable computing education, inclusive STEM pedagogies, and effects on their students’ instructional practices

Module 7 — Queens College

• After reviewing the visual resource, “Powering Connections: Teacher candidate perspectives on Computer Integrated Technology”, please respond to the following questions in this thread:

What are your thoughts on the teacher candidate visual resource? What surprised you? What resonated with you? What other perspectives do you wish had been included?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • In my view, the teacher candidate visual resource is an interesting way to present info about the challenges and successes of diverse teacher candidates’ experiences with tech. My personal preference is to read information without cartoons, bubbles, and different fonts, but I can see where others might like this format. Nothing about the content was particularly surprising to me. Unfortunately, the “disempowering” experiences of Evelyn and Lisbeth resonated with me more than the empowering ones, since I deal with them far more frequently and try and mitigate them as much as possible for my students. One perspective that could perhaps also be included would be that of my dad Bill (aka, “an old white guy who was born and raised in NYC”) who returns to CUNY as a career changer and does not know how to use even the most basic tech (i.e., using email, attaching and sending files, creating new accounts, navigating CUNY First, and more very basic tech skills). I feel as if we assume that everyone nowadays has a baseline of tech skills, but people like my dad truly don’t! They require a great deal of extra assistance just to learn the basics.

I’m going to post this as a reply, so we can be in conversation with one another further. So hi Jackie and thanks for starting the thread! I actually loved the comics style of this. We engage so much with academic articles in our work – e.g., reading, writing, and editing – I’ve been having questions about whether this is the best medium to share information, and personally just enjoyed the break that came from reading the info this way.

It’s great CITE is bringing in our students’ voices and perspectives to the conversation. After the last module and responding to the CS4All report, and in light of your work @Sara Vogel, I’m glad to see a bit more light shown on the wide range of ways that our students and their students do engage with technologies, and would love to see even more of that. And again I’m thinking about the user vs maker orientation. It’s clear our students need more supports with using and also access to possibilities for making. Like Jackie, on the challenges the students voiced I’ve heard a number of these. Not mentioned here was Blackboard and the challenges students have navigating it. But all these points show how CUNY needs to invest more in user friendly platforms and increasing supports for our students. I know they they far more access and supports at wealthier institutions that have great resources, and while we don’t have those resources think we could invest more than we do.

PS and the loss of the Google suite on our campus, which many students (and faculty) are frustrated by, given it’s so widely used in NYC DOE schools

This was a fun visual resource to read, and I love that we are considering the experience of our teacher candidates. Like Jackie, the stories of disempowerment resonated with me. I was glad to see examples of having students who have trouble with finding email and passwords, or logging onto a computer and Smartboard – which is often something we take for granted especially in planning and designing activities. I also really liked Michelle’s poem about algorithms reinforcing racismo that is AGAINST technology. But it was nice that it was followed by the comic showing how technology can also be used for good, such as assistive text to speech programs.