Public Group active 3 months, 3 weeks ago

Computing Integrated Teacher Education (CITE) @ CUNY

Computing Integrated Teacher Education is a four-year initiative to support CUNY faculty at all ranks to integrate state standards aligned computing content and pedagogy into required education courses, field work and student teaching. Supported by public funding from the New York City Department of Education (NYC DOE) Computer Science for All (CS4All) program and private funding from the Robin Hood Learning + Technology Fund, the initiative will focus on building on and complementing the success of NYCDOE CS4All and pilots to integrate computational thinking at Queens College, Hunter College and Hostos Community College.

The initiative focuses on:
– Supporting institutional change in teacher education programs
– Building faculty computing pedagogical content knowledge through the lens of culturally response-sustaining education
– Supporting faculty research in equitable computing education, inclusive STEM pedagogies, and effects on their students’ instructional practices

Module 3 — Bronx Community College

• Background

• The design process is at the center of our work together this summer.

Task

• We invite you to visually represent or model your own design process using some digital tool.
    • You can capture how you design or make anything — whether it’s related to your work as a teacher educator or not.
    • You can share your typical design process, or create a vision for a more idealized or aspirational design process.
    • We think doing this will help you learn a new digital tool, and to help you think intentionally about your design process in advance of our work together this summer.

To complete this task:

To visualize your design process, select and use a digital tool  – preferably one that’s new to you or that you want more practice with. You can use one of the ones we recommend below, or locate your own.

NOTE: Some of these require you to create accounts. If you’d like, take a look at the privacy policies of these tools to see if the benefits of signing up would outweigh the risks for you.

Stuck?

• Consult any online tutorials the tool may have on their site
    • Try sketching something on paper first, or do some free-writing to generate ideas about how you generally go about design!
    • Make multiple “rapid prototype” iterations until something feels right.
    • If you’re stuck on something, we encourage you to troubleshoot. Google around, use your colleagues as resources, or go to our help sessions on Mondays!

To Share:

• Reply to this thread.
    • Add a brief reflection:
      • Share something new you learned about the tool you used.
      • Did you look at the privacy policy? Did anything stand out there?
      • Share any limitations of the tool that you used that you discovered.
    • You can share your work as a link, or an attachment to this discussion thread
    • If you’d like to embed an image in your post, you’ll have to upload it somewhere first (for example at imgur). Then use the image icon in the discussion forum to link to it.
Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • I think creating an artifact using Padlet would be very useful for my EDU 40 students since it lends itself to k-12 implementation. I’m thinking about how I can create a Padlet prototype based on a required lesson plan and teaching demo for fall, 2023. Elise Langan

This is certainly jumping right into it. and while I am reviewing the tools, not sure I have enough of a focus on what I want to do or certainly not a knowledge of a new tool, at this point to say with a definite voice that, “This is it.” I know I am supposed to develop an idea, and an artifact, so here I go. The idea is to take the NYS Next Generation Learning Standards, assign college students observation sheets akin to ECERS and other rating sheets like Class or Gold, and then aggregate their findings using something like a cloud-based Excel Sheet, maybe MS Teams, and have students interpret the aggregated data to see where their observed child is in certain specific developmental area.
    Now that I have written it, that sounds complicated, but it is not. I think in terms of degree of difficulty it seems on scale with some of the quantitative artifacts designed by colleagues. I already have the students complete multiple observation checklists with evidence recorded, that would need some modification from Word, maybe, to Excel. An added column to discern mastery, proficiency, competency or deficiency, probable scale of one to four. Those numbers in a class, or cohort of classes, could set a small sample standard for comparison.
    I have looked at Padlet, nice, but not sure yet if it is what I want or need, as I still do not know what I might want! I am familiar with PowerPoint and while the temptation is to use it for a graphic organizer I know there are better just by looking at the posted samples. So this will take more time and hands-on research. I am also sensitive to the fact that whatever I decide to use, my students have to learn it, so I am thinking not tools that require signup, accounts, passwords, etc. (so PowerPoint swinging back to looking good) though I am considering using eportfolio (our campus has Digication, and students already have access). As I have a task to complete, I take the easy way out for the moment and use PowerPoint (familiarity and comfortability win over innovation for the moment).

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

So I’ve been using google slides for years. The problem for me is that I’ve never really approached google slides from a design perspective — I’ve always thought about it simply as a blank canvas through which I can convey ideas via text. Because of this, my google slides have generally looked the same — bullet pointed lists. However, I recently attended a talk and was impressed by how the presenter used google slides to convey her ideas, but it was designed in a way that made the information really pop. It got me thinking about how I might be able to infuse creative design into presentations.

Here, I emulate a slide from that presentation. The speaker was introducing herself, but where I would have simply bulleted some points or created a simple timeline, she was able to fit in so much information in a single slide. Since watching her presentation, I’ve been asking myself how I can tap into the potential of google slides – how can I use it as more than just a standard, boring slide show? This is something I’d also like to infuse into my artifact, although I’m not sure exactly how.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1oRCIIhf9CCeeTpsMUPtcC3z8Kab8Iu6YoWg2MikmKms/edit?usp=sharing

I’ve checked Canva, Miro, and Loopy, which I had not tried before. All very useful to visualize planning stages, to organize work, etc., and to share the work and/or do teamwork. It looks like many things can also be done using PowerPoint, but these apps look more dynamic and user friendly (although there seems to be a learning curve). Need to spend some time to learn to use them, especially Miro and Canva that have endless templates and features. However, when I plan something or want to get organized, I need paper and pencil. Then, once I have it clear on paper, I transfer it to digital (e.g., ppt, google slides, padlet, etc.) so it looks nice and more professional.

I looked at Miro’s privacy policy. Even though I did not learn anything new about how much info I share (without an option) with them, it was a powerful reminder.

My typical design process is rather chaotic. This is why starting with paper works better for me. Setting the goals is the easy part. I go back and forth a few times and change the whole design, steps, and timeline a few (many?) times. I may get different pieces from different drafts and finally come up with a final work (always in progress!).

Specifically for this summer activity, I do not know yet. I’m not part of a teacher education program, but I can think of biology students as educators of friends, family, colleagues, neighbors, etc. So, I may take evolution or some topic in ecology as the focus of my summer project.

Update! I tried Loopy using a course development model to test is. I think it works very well for simple models/circuits/workflows. Check it out here

Hello colleagues

I used loopy because I’ve actually never seen this one before.  I felt it was important for me to use something I am less familiar with.  Loopy provide ways for educators to think using maps, something I often used in the classroom while I was teaching.  I think it’s a really neat way of organizing ideas.

https://bit.ly/3N50JO3

Hi Dr. Choi,

I totally know what you mean! I’m not sure if this will help, but in order to make my Slides just a tad more interesting/visually appealing, I like to use Slides templates from websites like Slidesgo or Slides Carnival. The templates are already formatted and organized nicely and even have formatted timeline slides, charts, etc. you’d just have to input your own information.

My Slides tend to be very colorful and public school teacher-y, but that’s how I like them., haha. https://slidesgo.com/theme/teacher-newsletter#search-Education&position-3&results-4994

Here is an example of a timeline slide I made for one of my graduate classes where I had to illustrate my literacy profile/my experience with literacy in my life: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/17PYKarm47DZxoNs3xlGak_W7v953Ukt0s6QB1xqL_Us/edit?usp=sharing

Hi! Access my design process on Loopy here.

Like Dr. Johnson, I wanted to use a platform I was less familiar with, so I used Loopy — and it’s so cool! I illustrated a general design process I tend to use when I have to create a lesson plan for the classroom, or even to create DIY projects like floral jewelry for my wedding. I personally love the designing/creating/visual aspect of it. I thought it was cool that you use the pencil tool to draw out a circle to make a node and draw out a line to make an arrow.

An initial question I had was regarding the up and down arrow buttons and what purpose they served after you click play. But, I played around with it a little more and I realized you click the arrow that shows the direction you want the flow to be. Since my chart was only going in one direction, I only needed one of the arrows.

I like the simplicity of Loopy. It would be nice to make more shapes in addition to a circle to illustrate more content (tried making a square and triangle — didn’t work!)

Hello – I was browsing around other forums for inspiration and came across this post with the links to Slides templates. Thank you for sharing! Me too, I’ve been using google slides for many years but usually stick with basic formats or slightly revising what I’d done before. These templates are great!

-Casandra

(York College)