This is a great project! I’d love to see your results (if it’s okay to share them).
I agree with Matt’s and Sarah’s comments about platforms and the social aspects of gaming. If you have the space for it in your survey, I would suggest pulling these out into 2 questions in addition to your question on game genres:
1. Which platforms/interfaces/devices do you use for gaming?
- Console (e.g., Wii, Playstation, Xbox)
- Portable console (e.g., Playstation portable, Nintendo DS)
- Phone or other device (e.g., iPhone/iPod Touch, Blackberry, other phone)
- Computer (e.g., PC, Mac)
- Web browsers (e.g., Facebook games, other online games played in a web browser)
2. What kinds of gaming situations do you prefer?
- Solo (alone)
- Competitive multiplayer
- Cooperative multiplayer
- Multiplayer with people I know
- Multiplayer with people I don’t know
This is supernerdy and probably excessively nitpicky, but I don’t know that I would call the Zelda and Star Wars series role playing — I’d put those in Adventure. Pokemon is an odd beast because most of those games basically replicate the offline card game with some adventuring thrown in, so I’d probably move that to Adventure too.
I would definitely add in “exercise games” as Matt suggests — there’s a huge number of these for the Wii.