Spring 2020 Sociology of Education

Group logo of Spring 2020 Sociology of Education

week 2 reflection

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #83638
    Christine Diaz
    Participant

The assumptions I once thought in regards to principals, school staff, and maybe even parents or students having a say in what they are learning while attending public schools were wrong, where in actuality these people really do not have a say at all. After reading this chapter, I now have a better understanding of the history that includes the economic, political, and social educational goals; in which plays a major role in public schooling education.

On one hand I felt conflicted on some of the expectations of the educational goals mentioned in this chapter throughout history, while on the other hand, I have thought more into depth about others.I recognize how these goals have caused an array of discussions to arise throughout history and present times and the different types of changes that have occurred due to in differences.

The federal, state, local politicians, special interest groups, community organizations, and professional education organizations are the individuals who have control on what material is being implemented and how this is being taught in schools. They are also the people who are behind the expectations of schools educational goals. In my opinion I believe these goals are a product of their desires, opinions, morals, and religious beliefs they want to project on people, in order to get the outcome they feel fits for the type of environment or situation they want to create.

Students are expected to achieve and meet specific expectations based on set goals. Not all goals are created equal; some are given the tools needed while others are not. Some are faced with situations that can hinder the outcome, whereas others it may not. The results will be differ due their circumstances and opportunities given. As humans we are constantly changing and evolving therefore our economic, political, and social goals will continue to change and evolve as well. These groups who come up with these goals, I feel need to do better in bridging the gaps to better meet the needs for our students attending public schools. An idea that could help is having principals, and or school teachers participate in developing educational goals, by meeting once or twice a month to address concerns on the effects of current educational goals to make small changes that may result in better school goals.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.