Public Group active 1 month, 3 weeks ago

GIS / Mapping Working Group

The Geographic Information Systems (GIS) / Mapping working group is a network of CUNY students, faculty and staff who are interested in sharing methods and techniques, and finding support from others about ways GIS can be used to further research and teaching.

The GIS/Mapping working group is part of a GC Digital Initiatives program designed to create collaborative communities of Digital Fellows, CUNY-wide graduate students, staff, and faculty to meet regularly and share their areas of interest. The working groups provide a sustained, supportive environment to learn new skills, share familiar skills, and collaborate with both the Digital Fellows and the CUNY digital community.

If you are using Geographic Information Systems or other mapping technologies in your teaching and/or research, or if you are interested in mapping your data, or using GIS technology to analyze/visualize your data, we invite you to join the GIS/Mapping working group.

Peruse our mapping resource bank here: https://commons.gc.cuny.edu/groups/gis-working-group/docs/gis-mapping-resources/

For the Spring 2024 semester, the GIS/Mapping working group will meet in the Digital Scholarship Lab, Room 7414, every other Tuesday from 2-4 p.m. Check out our event calendar for the specific meeting dates. Please stop by!

Welcome / Introduce yourself here

• Hello everyone, welcome to the GIS / Mapping working group.

In this topic I’d like to foster exchanges between the members of the GIS/Mapping working group, so to start, it’s important to know who we are and why we joined this group.

I’ll start rolling the ball by briefly introducing myself:

I’m Javier Otero Peña, a PhD student in Environmental Psychology and one of the GC Digital Fellows. My first contact with GIS was in 2009, when I did studies in Urban Planning in Caracas, Venezuela (my hometown). I learned how to use MapInfo and studied the plans to build a cable car in a favela in the city. Later I did a Master in Environmental Policies and Sustainable Development in Paris, where I had classes in GIS, using ArcGIS and gvSIG, a European freeware platform.

I haven’t had the opportunity to work professionally with GIS or mapping and I’m far from being an expert, so when I joined the GC Digital Fellows last year, I gladly took the opportunity to host this GIS/Mapping working group and to teach GIS workshops using QGIS and Carto; teaching is the best way to refresh knowledge and learn more. As such, please count me in if you need any help/advice with your mapping/GIS projects or ideas, I’ll help you in any way I can. Concerning my own research, I will use GIS in my dissertation research to analyze gentrification trends vis-à-vis festivals and events organized at the community level.

What about you? I look forward to reading about who you are, what mapping/GIS software are you familiar with and what your research projects are.

Best,

Javier

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Hi Javier,

My name is Bob Lupo, and I am FT Faculty at Bronx Community (Bio and Chem Depts. for 12yrs.) where I teach Environmental Health, GIS (ESRI & QGIS), and a slew of other courses based on where I can be helpful. I have degrees in Biology, Computer Science, and GIS.  Previously I have taught at SUNY New Paltz (11 yrs – Math & CS, Athletics), at CCNY (Molecular Bio – as Grad student of MCD Program), York (Occupational Therapy – Anat & Phys), Lehman (Biology, Programming), and TA at Hunter College w/ Dr. Dottin (Genomics & Proteomics). My GIS experiences were developed at Lehman College with their excellent Faculty and facilities. I am developing my own OER Geospatial curriculum at BCC. Yes, I have been around the block!

Good to see someone with enthusiasm and looking toward the future. Likewise, I would be willing to offer a hand if possible.

Best,

BL

Hello,

My name is Ekaterina, I’m a graduate student at MA Computational Linguistics – I’m interested in research in urban data science and I have been working with GIS since 2013 and now exploring relationship between text data and location. I’m familiar with traditional GIS software but most of the time I use CARTO for web visualizations and happy to provide tips on working with this platform! Thank you very much for the resources and this group!