GIS / Mapping Working Group

Public Group active 20 hours, 48 minutes ago

Welcome / Introduce yourself here

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #57712
    Javier Otero Peña
    Participant

Hello everyone, welcome to the GIS / Mapping working group.

In this topic I’d like to foster exchanges between the members of the GIS/Mapping working group, so to start, it’s important to know who we are and why we joined this group.

I’ll start rolling the ball by briefly introducing myself:

I’m Javier Otero Peña, a PhD student in Environmental Psychology and one of the GC Digital Fellows. My first contact with GIS was in 2009, when I did studies in Urban Planning in Caracas, Venezuela (my hometown). I learned how to use MapInfo and studied the plans to build a cable car in a favela in the city. Later I did a Master in Environmental Policies and Sustainable Development in Paris, where I had classes in GIS, using ArcGIS and gvSIG, a European freeware platform.

I haven’t had the opportunity to work professionally with GIS or mapping and I’m far from being an expert, so when I joined the GC Digital Fellows last year, I gladly took the opportunity to host this GIS/Mapping working group and to teach GIS workshops using QGIS and Carto; teaching is the best way to refresh knowledge and learn more. As such, please count me in if you need any help/advice with your mapping/GIS projects or ideas, I’ll help you in any way I can. Concerning my own research, I will use GIS in my dissertation research to analyze gentrification trends vis-à-vis festivals and events organized at the community level.

What about you? I look forward to reading about who you are, what mapping/GIS software are you familiar with and what your research projects are.

Best,

Javier

#57718
    Robert A Lupo
    Participant

Hi Javier,

My name is Bob Lupo, and I am FT Faculty at Bronx Community (Bio and Chem Depts. for 12yrs.) where I teach Environmental Health, GIS (ESRI & QGIS), and a slew of other courses based on where I can be helpful. I have degrees in Biology, Computer Science, and GIS.  Previously I have taught at SUNY New Paltz (11 yrs – Math & CS, Athletics), at CCNY (Molecular Bio – as Grad student of MCD Program), York (Occupational Therapy – Anat & Phys), Lehman (Biology, Programming), and TA at Hunter College w/ Dr. Dottin (Genomics & Proteomics). My GIS experiences were developed at Lehman College with their excellent Faculty and facilities. I am developing my own OER Geospatial curriculum at BCC. Yes, I have been around the block!

Good to see someone with enthusiasm and looking toward the future. Likewise, I would be willing to offer a hand if possible.

Best,

BL

#60425

Hello,

My name is Ekaterina, I’m a graduate student at MA Computational Linguistics – I’m interested in research in urban data science and I have been working with GIS since 2013 and now exploring relationship between text data and location. I’m familiar with traditional GIS software but most of the time I use CARTO for web visualizations and happy to provide tips on working with this platform! Thank you very much for the resources and this group!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.