Public Group active 3 months, 3 weeks ago

Computing Integrated Teacher Education (CITE) @ CUNY

Computing Integrated Teacher Education is a four-year initiative to support CUNY faculty at all ranks to integrate state standards aligned computing content and pedagogy into required education courses, field work and student teaching. Supported by public funding from the New York City Department of Education (NYC DOE) Computer Science for All (CS4All) program and private funding from the Robin Hood Learning + Technology Fund, the initiative will focus on building on and complementing the success of NYCDOE CS4All and pilots to integrate computational thinking at Queens College, Hunter College and Hostos Community College.

The initiative focuses on:
– Supporting institutional change in teacher education programs
– Building faculty computing pedagogical content knowledge through the lens of culturally response-sustaining education
– Supporting faculty research in equitable computing education, inclusive STEM pedagogies, and effects on their students’ instructional practices

Module 2 – LaGuardia

• Background

• The National Equity Project has given us permission to “remix” their Liberatory Design Mindsets resource with their Creative Commons license.

Task

To complete this task:

• Either download the PowerPoint slides attached to this forum post OR make a copy of this Google Slides presentation.
    • Remix the activity on Slide 3. You can add more slides if you need.

To Share:

• Attach your PowerPoint, or link your Google slides to your discussion forum post when you’re done. If you go the Google Slides route, make sure permissions allow anyone to view your work.
    • Add a brief reflection on your process and what you hoped you accomplished with the activity.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Here is the remixed PPT: CLICK

The original prompt was great, so this was an exercise in coming up with an alternative. My remix has the individual and/or group engage with more mindsets cards than the original. In both prompts (individual or group), participants will have to generate a story around the equity challenge; engaging imagination, creative courage, and engagement/collaboration with others.

It’s difficult to set intentions when you don’t know what is up ahead. I think it is a good idea to identify and discuss mindsets that resonate with individuals. However, I hesitate to set intentions so early in the process. I think it is important to remain flexible, engage with the work at hand and then revisit the mindsets before setting collective intentions.

Attachments:

Remixing the project was difficult since it was very straight forward, but i decided to turn what was there into a bit of a game.  I combined the two “Options” as two different  game play phases, first where you select mindsets that you feel are important to you when working in a group, and  second where as a group you discuss what mindsets should guide the project.  To me this might help an individual participate in a group more actively, sharing what they’ve picked rather than maybe just agreeing with what the consensus has suggested to not rock the boat.

Slides

I agree with my colleagues, keeping an open mind on where to set intentions is important, and the activity is very straight forward so the remix was a little challenging. That being said, three mindsets really resonated with me and I tried to think of how I enact them in courses I teach. Grounding abstract mindsets into action is helpful and, I suppose, necessary for implementation. So I remixed by setting an example with a couple of my choices and asking for the same from participants.

Attachments:

I found the original directions for the activity to be quite straightforward and clear. That said, I remixed the activity by having the students relate their chosen mindsets to the specific aims as stated in the Liberatory Design Mindsets. I also suggest that the students work in pairs and then report out to the class, maximizing opportunities for collaborative work in the classroom.

Attachments:

I found the activity interesting. I think the three mindsets I chose: Seek Liberatory Collaboration, Focus on Human Values and Embrace Complexity somewhat overlap when it comes to intention. At least in my case. Focusing on multiple perspectives first in groups and later reflecting on them as the whole class would probably, ultimately, fall more squarely into the Focus on Human Values though.

Attachments:

I am not sure if my attached powerpoint opens properly. here is another copy

Attachments:

How I would start remixing the Liberatory Design Mindsets with the CITE Community Agreements would be to add a caveat that stipulates that the Goal and Mission of the group outweigh any personal interests or any perspective from a single individual. I would then emphasize tenets from Liberatory Design Mindset and CITE Community Agreements that align with the project’s overall mission before narrowing the focus to interpersonal bias and other related issues. For example, I would emphasize taking risks and feedback before taking on personal preferences, which we might address when giving constructive criticism and providing critique.