Public Group active 4 months ago

Computing Integrated Teacher Education (CITE) @ CUNY

Computing Integrated Teacher Education is a four-year initiative to support CUNY faculty at all ranks to integrate state standards aligned computing content and pedagogy into required education courses, field work and student teaching. Supported by public funding from the New York City Department of Education (NYC DOE) Computer Science for All (CS4All) program and private funding from the Robin Hood Learning + Technology Fund, the initiative will focus on building on and complementing the success of NYCDOE CS4All and pilots to integrate computational thinking at Queens College, Hunter College and Hostos Community College.

The initiative focuses on:
– Supporting institutional change in teacher education programs
– Building faculty computing pedagogical content knowledge through the lens of culturally response-sustaining education
– Supporting faculty research in equitable computing education, inclusive STEM pedagogies, and effects on their students’ instructional practices

Module 1 – Kingsborough KCC

• Reply to this post with a response to the prompts below by the module due date.

• Introduce yourself with your name, college, role(s)
    • Share the rationale cards you kept in your hand all the way to the end of the game. Why did you keep these to the end? Why did you discard particular cards?
    • What connections can you make between the values you reviewed and the examples from people’s digital lives?
    • How did you interact with the game? What worked / didn’t work about our game prototype? Did you follow the rules as written? Did you “tinker” with the algorithm (rules) of the game? If so, how?
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Carol Carielli, adjunct assistant professor from Kingsborough Community College teaching in the Behavioral Sciences Department and Education Program.

When I first received the cards I went through them without knowing how they would be used.  I liked the look of  the cards and the feel of the cards…they were not flimsy.

I began the card game with the following in mind: children should understand computer and digital literacy because of the role they both have in the world and the monumental role they will continue to play. The podcast featuring Katie Davis provided a fairly robust discussion in a brief amount of time, of understanding the  pros and cons of digital life for children.  Davis made it clear that children, parents and teachers were stakeholders. I’m one of the stakeholders.

As a stakeholder, choosing and letting go of cards was not an easy task because of the capacity of the meaning of what was printed on each card choice. So each “keep”  was a challenge of a “sort.” My values and the values written about in the reading were expressed in the cards which made the task of choosing just five cards, more of a struggle.

Hello. Joanna Maulbeck. Lecturer of Education from KCC.

I kept many cards that spoke to the joy of learning, civic engagement, and social justice. The cards I kept mirror my philosophy of education in general – We think with the same brain that we feel and we are much more likely to remember content that makes us FEEL. Once we learn, I believe it is our duty not to hold onto the knowledge but to share it with the world in a way that is constructive, as well as relevant at the time and within the space that we find ourselves in. To me, anything that goes back to equity is relevant and urgent.

It was cool for me to to see the various categories that values can be placed in. It helped me to understand my choices a bit more and see the connection between my values relating to digital literacy and education in a broader sense. The connection is pretty seamless.

In terms of making connections to people’s digital lives – I LOVED (talk about a big feeling) seeing how young people are using technology in an effort to make the world a better place. That advocacy through this medium (and any medium) makes my heart so happy. I particularly love the Games for Change initiative. It truly stands out to me as a fun way to teach about content that truly matters.

In terms of how I interacted with the game – I followed the rules. I went back and forth a lot of times and found myself to be a bit indecisive. There were a lot of great values to sort through. I ended up putting some values away that I really believed in just because I felt that I had already included a similar value. I went for variety. Now, reading the article about these values and the categories that they fall in was awesome to do afterwards. Again, it made me understand my choices and my indecisions, as well as my final decision to capture the joy of learning, as well as the importance of civic engagement and equity in this work.

I am one to branch out and generally am pretty terrible at following rules. But, for whatever reason, I followed them here precisely. I even kept checking the letter to make sure that I was following them. That’s very unlike me but that’s what I did!

P.S. I love that rule bending is associated with tinkering. Next time I park illegally when observing my students in the field, I’ll just call it “tinkering.” I like the sound of that much more 🙂

Hi –
    I’m Laura Kates, Professor in the KCC Education Program since 2006.
    I don’t recall just which cards I chose, because I submitted the form awhile back. I do remember that it was VERY difficult to choose just five because they all seemed so important. In fact, I think about them all the time because, taken together, they were such a wonderful explication of all that is important in this undertaking. I really appreciated receiving them and the CITE work launching this way.
    In terms of values and priorities, I tended to prioritize those that have to do with individuals’ critical literacies and access to participation in civic society. I’ve done research on these topics, been involved in related faculty development initiatives at KCC and am always developing coursework for my Foundations class related to these topics.
    I find the ascent and predominance of misinformation in American society saddening and terrifying and have been so shocked by how many people readily believe information that, to me, it’s not that hard to find evidence to counter. This includes some of our KCC teacher candidates who think that if something is on-line or on social media, it must be true.
    I’ve also been appalled, these last few years, by the ferocious resistance to members of marginalized groups gaining some power and voice in American society, and the cruel and unchecked way in which members of these groups are attacked and demonized on social media and by some so called “news organizations.” For this reason, I care a lot about empowering my students to add their voices to digital discourse.
    In terms of how I played the game, I did it in a very straightforward way – no “tinkering.” Although in some contexts I can be something of a bold or outspoken person, I also find comfort in rules and appreciated how well designed the task was.

Joanna – I like rule bending and tinkering too but am not sure the NYCDOT shares this value lol. Could be a costly experiment for you!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.