CUNY Manifold Users

Public Group active 2 days, 9 hours ago

Manifold Minis

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #87617

Dear all!

It seems my initial invitation did not go through! I am hosting weekly half hour demos with Q&As, Tuesdays 1-1:30pm. I will post recaps to this group after each session.

Here is the invite:

Manifold Minis Series

Are you interested in using Manifold, CUNY’s very own digital publishing platform? Are you curious how others are using this tool in their classrooms? Join Jojo Karlin, Manifold Graduate Fellow, every Tuesday at 1:00pm for a 30 minute session to discuss useful features and answer questions.

• April 7 Introduction to Manifold
    • April 14 Manifold OER models (some CUNY examples)
    • April 21 Reading Groups in Manifold
    • April 28 Using Resources in Manifold
    • May 5 Publishing Your OER in Manifold

Each week, Jojo will begin with a brief demo of the feature in question (roughly 20 minutes) followed with time for questions.

These sessions are open to all of CUNY. Jump on any time you can. Just email jojo.karlin@gmail.com for video call registration info!

Hope to see you there!

#87618

APRIL 7 Manifold Mini Recap

TODAY’S DIGEST:

I gave a general overview of CUNY’s Manifold instance:

– I talked briefly about the collaboration with CUNY GC, University of Minnesota Press, and Cast Iron Coding (the development firm founded by Zach Davis, a CUNY English PhD)

We looked at the overarching organization of the interface

– Home page library view

– Featured collections

– All projects

I did a brief dip into a couple examples:

Structuring Equality, a seminar’s end of term collected edition of student work

Building Open Infrastructure at CUNY, a collection of essays by the GC TLC

Selections from Petrarch’s Canzoniere, an enriched edition of public domain text created by Julie von Peteghem at Hunter College

I referenced project organization:

I talked briefly about how projects are the main container of material on Manifold — a project may be a single text with many chapters (as in the CUNY Student Editions, which I haven’t shown but will) or multiple texts (as in some course readers). I mentioned that you could have a resources only project.

I previewed Reading Groups

I demoed how you can highlight text to annotate, share or cite passages if you’re logged in. Manifold collects your private annotations and lets you see other people’s public annotations. Further demo of reading groups is slotted for April 21 at 1.

QUESTIONS

Can you turn off annotations?

Not currently, but it is planned development (you can see the open issue on the project’s Github development)

How does Manifold handle copyrighted material?

Manifold holds whatever metadata (including license) you supply. If you wish to present material that is still in copyright, you need to request permissions from the authors (or authors’ estates).

Will Manifold add an ISBN: 

Manifold does not create ISBNs, but you can add one if you have other means of acquiring them.

How do I make my text visible in Google?

Adding metadata helps and making sure you enter your project into OER Commons and CUNY Academic Works. Search Engine Optimization is not my area of expertise, but based on today’s questions, I will try to set up a Mini session on Metadata and Getting Found. I’ll see if some librarians and maybe someone from the press can come.

Can you annotate video?

You can leave comments on any resource, but you cannot at this point annotate audio and video (as you can on other platforms like Scalar)

Can you download any resource type?

All added resources (added manually or in bulk to a project) may be downloaded. If you wish to provide a download of any file (an offline copy of the text, for instance), you can add a button on the home page. Video and Audio files can be viewed within Manifold. Other resource types will appear as downloads.

Can resources be added directly, or must they be embedded?

Resources can be added to a project separate from texts. Any resource that has been added to a project may be anchored in the project’s text by anyone with the necessary permissions (project creators and editors). Google and Word doc images will render inline in Manifold. For inline interactive resources, you need to create the text using Markdown, EPUB, or HTML.

Can you reingest parts or do you have to reingest the whole?

To make changes on a text, you need to reingest the text. If you have created a project with multiple texts, you can reingest only the text you have altered. If you wish to change a chapter of a text ingested with a manifest (more on this when we get to Publishing with Manifold), you would need to rezip all the component parts. One of the planned features is a text editor for minor edits, but it will be a while before this feature is complete.

Are Google Docs preferable to Word Docs?

Yes. Google Docs and Word Docs are often the easiest document types for new users, but they offer the least control of the outcome. Google Docs are made for web viewing so what you see there will be more closely reflected in Manifold. Word does a lot of hidden work that doesn’t take kindly to non-Microsoft settings. Because both softwares are WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get), it can be easy to expect that what you create in these programs will easily convert to web-friendly flowable text. Working with Markdown, HTML, or EPUB require more work but offer much more control of formatting. Manifold follows the structure provided by the documents you ingest.

****

Tune in next week, Tuesday at 1, for Manifold OER models (a view of some projects in use across CUNY)! And feel free to email me or reach out in our CUNY Manifold Users group on the Academic Commons or on the Manifold Community Slack channel. If these minis continue to go well, I will add more sessions which could cover topics like Accessibility on Manifold, Metadata — I’m open to suggestions!

Thanks, Jojo

Follow Manifold on Twitter and check out the Manifold blog where we discuss new releases, the Manifold pilot presses, and cool projects.

#87784

Dear CUNY Manifoldians,

Tomorrow from 1-1:30pm I will host the second Manifold Mini. This week, I’ll be demonstrating some vibrant examples of Manifold OER in the CUNY classroom. If you wish to attend, email me at jojo.karlin@gmail.com.

Hope to see you there,

Jojo

#87896

MANIFOLD MINI #2, 4/14, RECAP

THE DEMO

CUNY OER on Manifold

I walked the group through some examples of the amazing OER built on cuny.manifoldapp.org. Anyone teaching or studying at CUNY is welcome to use Manifold. OER, Open Educational Resources, are meant for free classroom use of openly licensed material. Manifold allows for any license, but if you create a project, you are responsible for assigning the license.

TEXTBOOKS:

COURSE READERS:

ENRICHED EDITIONS:

CRITICAL EDITIONS:

Manifold is a great place to put a group copy so that you know everyone is reading the same version. In addition to controlling the text everyone’s reading from in class, Manifold can be a place for out-of-print texts you wish to reintegrate. CUNY Student Editions (started by 18th century Americanists) are meant to widen the canon as well as providing good working texts of commonly used texts.

STUDENT EDITED COLLECTIONS:

Then we discussed how to get started.

Get Some Guidance:

Assemble Your Materials

• Gather texts and choose the format
    • Gather resources
    • Prepare texts

Create Your Account:

THE QUESTIONS

Can I use copy-righted sources on Manifold for teaching purposes? Or is reserved only for public domain books?As long as you receive permission to use sources, you can use them on Manifold. The platform has no mechanism to hold you to copyright law and depends on users to adhere to fair use and disciplinary guidelines. If you have questions about specific materials, I recommend speaking with your campus OER representatives and librarians.

If copyrighted, can you make the Manifold publication private as a condition of permission from an author/publisher?

Currently, there are no access restrictions on Manifold, though that feature is currently under development (See plan in V6.0 on Manifold Github Roadmap). It is possible that closed projects will be available in the future.

Are comments moderated?

Whatever a reader adds to the text (annotation on text or comment on an annotation or resource) belongs to them. Teachers are encouraged to use private Reading Groups (which I will discuss further next week) to manage student annotations. You still cannot delete your students’ comments (unless you delete your whole project, in which case everything goes). Inappropriate comments may be flagged.

***

Tune in next week, Tuesday at 1, for Manifold Reading Groups (a first dip in, I’ve already created a group for the demo if you wish to experience the invitation system in advance). And feel free to email me or join the Manifold Community Slack channel to reach me and other members of our team. You can also follow Manifold on Twitter and check out the Manifold blog where we discuss new releases, the Manifold pilot presses, and cool projects.

Thanks and be well,

Jojo

#88410

Dear Manifoldians,

Despite my meeting mixup, I recorded the session and am sharing this Manifold Minis Dropbox with the recording from today as well as last week’s. Below I’ve typed up a recap. I will keep sharing these on this thread so that the recaps exist somewhere together. I know that there’s an overwhelming amount of content coming at you daily, and these sessions are meant to be easy.

Tune in next week, Tuesday at 1, for Resources on Manifold. And feel free to email me or join the Manifold Community Slack channel to reach me and other members of our team. You can also follow Manifold on Twitter and check out the Manifold blog where we discuss new releases, the Manifold pilot presses, and cool projects.

Thank you so much for bearing with me and for your continuing questions.

Jojo

MANIFOLD MINIS #3, 4/21, Recap:

Demo: Reading Groups

How Reading Groups Work:

I used today to show what sort of information and description is readily available on the Manifold Documentation site. I wanted to show how sections like the documentation on Reading Groups and annotation are geared toward front end users of Manifold. The descriptions go into detail about how different privacy and visibility settings work and include helpful images of the relevant buttons in the user interface.

Assignment ideas:

This quick guide on the CUNY Learn page provides a brief overview of why annotating in class might prove useful and includes some assignment ideas. I’ve included a pdf of slides I used for a presentation at John Jay that list three Assignment ideas (Annotation Types, Discussion Questions, and Role Play).

Sample assignment listings:

These projects are examples of course readers that include instructions about annotation on the project home page (in a Markdown content block)

<p dir=”ltr”>Questions:
    <p dir=”ltr”>Because my meeting was the smaller of the two, we had more of a discussion about how Reading Group development is going. The whole development process is publicly posted on Github and discussions come up on the Community Slack Channel. Feel free to address your questions there where the development team and the digital editor from the University of Minnesota Press are also chiming in daily.

#88833

Dear CUNY Manifoldians,

Yesterday in our fourth session, I discussed Resources in Manifold. Below you will find my recap of the demo and the Q&A. You can find recordings of sessions 2-4 in this Manifold Minis Dropbox. I encourage you all to join the CUNY Manifold Users group on the Academic Commons, where I will continue to post updates.

Thank you all who have made it to these sessions. I have to postpone next week’s last scheduled Mini, because Stacy Katz, Abbey Elder, and I will be presenting the OER Starter Kit Workbook (in Manifold!) at the Library Publishing Forum.

On May 12, I will return for the last of the initially scheduled sessions, Manifold Mini #5: Tuesday at 1, for Publishing Your OER on Manifold. I will be going over the basic steps you need to make an OER in Manifold. The demo will cover part of my Publishing with Manifold workshop (available on GitHub).

And feel free to email me or join the Manifold Community Slack channel to reach me and other members of our team. You can also follow Manifold on Twitter and check out the Manifold blog where we discuss new releases, the Manifold pilot presses, and cool projects.

Thanks everyone,

Jojo

Manifold Minis #4 4/28 RECAP:

DEMO: Resources

To get started, I described Manifold’s initial motivation to create a digital book that would expand scholar’s capacity to share the vast collections of resources that come with writing a scholarly monograph. When Matt Gold and The University of Minnesota Press first teamed up with Cast Iron Coding to create a digital edition of Debates in Digital Humanities, the idea was to take advantage of the ways the internet works within scholarly networks. Sharing the resources that authors painstakingly assemble was important from the very beginning.

First in the demo, I took participants to the Manifold Documentation about Exploring and Placing Resources. While showing the helpful sections complete with screenshots and references, I described how Resources can be “placed” within a text (by the Project Creator and Editors) for all readers to see and comment on.

We looked at Metagaming on The University of Minnesota Press’s instance of Manifold to see how Resources appear (small cube icons with thumbnails in the margin that link to the Resource page).

• I used Metagaming to demonstrate the difference between Resources and inline images coded into an EPUB (which would hold true for images pasted into a Google Doc).
    • I pointed out how resources can be viewed from the reader or from a Resources content block on a project home page.
    • I showed how Resources can be organized in Collections
    • I showed how Resource Collections appear in larger blocks on the project home page
    • Resource Collections may also be placed in the text with the cube icon

I mentioned two other projects, Using Primary Sources from Liverpool University Press, and Selections from Petrarch’s Canzoniere, which take advantage of Manifold’s ability to display visual and audio resources. In general, the goal of the Resources is to have them available as supplements (readers can choose to have Resources invisible while reading) and accessible within the Manifold project.
    Before I ended the session, I briefly showed what it looks like to add resources in the back end. For Project Creators, I recommend looking at Customizing Projects, Adding Resources in Manifold documentation, and following the Quick Guide on Adding and Embedding Resources on the Learn page of cuny.manifoldapp.org.

QUESTIONS:

Could a reader comment on a resource with a link, therefore sort of adding a resource?

A reader can add a link in an annotation that does become live. This is a great way for students to link to other resources without needing Project Creator permissions. Control of the project resources remains with the authors of the project.

What are the types of resources? Are they limited by format (video/audio/.doc/PDF/etc)?

The ten resource types (image, video, audio, file, link, pdf, document, spreadsheet, presentation, interactive) each have different specifications which are described more fully in the documentation (Preparing Resources). Images and videos are viewable within the Manifold interface whereas some of the other resource types are made available as downloads.

Can you ever have a link that goes external-outside of Manifold?

The link resource type provides a page with metadata about an external resource. The resource page allows readers to comment on relevant resources within Manifold, even if they are exiting Manifold to view those resources.

How do you embed a resource in the text itself? How do you create a hyperlink that takes you to this resource?

To place resources, users with necessary permissions (see documentation) highlight text within the reader and then select “resource” from the dropdown menu. Once a resource is “placed” or “anchored”, Manifold will display an icon within the text and thumbnail in the margin. These are linked to the resource page.For inline images or other resources, you need to follow the requirements of the type of file you are ingesting. To see what file types support which resources, visit the documentation on Preparing Texts.

#90093

Dear all,

In just a few minutes I will be reprising the “Publishing Your OER on Manifold” Manifold Mini. If you’d like to join, here is the Zoom info:

Join Zoom Meeting
    https://us02web.zoom.us/j/<wbr />88541692447?pwd=<wbr />RmhwRVdiNy9PaUp6cm14dDVzc01TQT<wbr />09

Meeting ID: 885 4169 2447
    Password: 2nZdWP

All are welcome! Review or come see it for the first time. Questions welcome.

Thanks everyone,

Jojo

#90172

Dear all,

Thank you so much for attending our Manifold Minis and/or following along with the email recaps.

This week, I ran two sessions of Manifold Mini #5: Publishing Your OER on Manifold. I did manage to record the second session, which I have linked. The recording is anchored in a new Manifold Minis project I created that compiles all the sessions to date.
    As always, please feel free to reach out to me or Robin Miller, our wonderful new Manifold Open Educational Technologist, join our CUNY Manifold Users group on the Academic Commons, and join the Manifold Community Slack channel. You can also follow Manifold on Twitter and check out the Manifold blog where we discuss new releases, the Manifold pilot presses, and cool projects.

Thanks everyone,

Jojo

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.