WordPress HELP!!

Public Group active 1 year, 1 month ago

Renaming the homepage?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #13486

Does anyone know if it’s possible to rename the homepage on a WP site here on the Commons? One of the groups I’m in here would like the link to the homepage to appear on the navbar as Blog rather than Home, because we’re using the homepage of the site as a blog. Any info anyone can share is most appreciated!

Thanks,
    Maura

#20700

I had a slightly different problem, but might be able to help. When you click on “Pages” in the admin panel, do you see Home listed as a page? I’m guessing not, but here’s a workaround:

First, go into Pages and create one called “Blog”

Under Settings, click on Reading. You’ll see two options under “Front page displays…”, (a) your latest posts or (b) a static page. Set it to a static page and choose your newly minted Blog page in the dropdown menu.

Under that, set the Posts Page to “Blog” as well. Now your home page should be Blog and your posts should appear there, too. Does that make sense?

Note: I’m using the Atahaulpa theme to write these steps, but hopefully the steps are exactly the same for all themes.

#20701
    Sarah Morgano
    Participant

Not sure if this blog post will help, but it goes over the instructions for turning your WordPress blog into a website: http://help.commons.gc.cuny.edu/2010/08/31/how-to-turn-your-wordpress-blog-into-a-website/.

Best,

Sarah

#20702

Thanks for this great intel, Shawn and Sarah! We are using Contempt, which does not seem to support the workaround that Shawn suggests. But we aren’t in love with Contempt, anyway, so maybe this is a good impetus to find a new theme.

Thanks!
    Maura

#20703

You’re right—it’s a custom design option available in the Atahualpa theme. I just tried testing this using Contempt, and no dice. Sorry for the mix-up.

#20704

In Contempt, that “Home” link is hard coded into the nav bar in header.php (line 54)… you’d have to change this text in the file (is Userthemes running on the Commons?) or make the theme aware of WP custom menus.

#20705

Hi All,

Just a heads-up that we are planning our next major upgrade to the Commons to take place within the next two weeks. The upgrade will include many new features, as it will bring the Commons up to the latest version of WordPress. Among the new features will be a group of 100 premium WordPress themes from WooThemes ( http://www.woothemes.com/ ), which have some neat functionality (and some beautiful designs). Please feel free to visit the WooThemes site in advance to pick out a theme that you’d like to use.

Anyone actively working on a new blog design should keep an eye out for our announcements of the upgrade or should subscribe to the RSS feeds of our news and development blogs.

Happy Thanksgiving, all. I will say that I am thankful for this community of members who do such a nice job of supporting one another!

Best,

Matt