Public Group active 4 months ago

Computing Integrated Teacher Education (CITE) @ CUNY

Computing Integrated Teacher Education is a four-year initiative to support CUNY faculty at all ranks to integrate state standards aligned computing content and pedagogy into required education courses, field work and student teaching. Supported by public funding from the New York City Department of Education (NYC DOE) Computer Science for All (CS4All) program and private funding from the Robin Hood Learning + Technology Fund, the initiative will focus on building on and complementing the success of NYCDOE CS4All and pilots to integrate computational thinking at Queens College, Hunter College and Hostos Community College.

The initiative focuses on:
– Supporting institutional change in teacher education programs
– Building faculty computing pedagogical content knowledge through the lens of culturally response-sustaining education
– Supporting faculty research in equitable computing education, inclusive STEM pedagogies, and effects on their students’ instructional practices

Module 9 – Designing with Scratch Across Disciplines

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Although I don’t particularly like the graphics (some of the “sprite” options), I found this to be very interactive. I know for me the learning curve is steep. However, once I went in and began tinkering, I went down a rabbit hole. I was committed to finalizing a project. I think my students would like this, actually and I can see them getting really creative.

I am considering using SCRATCH for an assignment that I have in my ECE Social Studies methods course: Students must identify 5 milestones in the history of their lives and create a timeline. To deepen my own CITE learning, I would like to add to this assignment another level/component, which would be what was happening more globally during the students’ 5 milestones. I think SCRATCH might work for this…

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)