Public Group active 5 months ago

Computing Integrated Teacher Education (CITE) @ CUNY

Computing Integrated Teacher Education is a four-year initiative to support CUNY faculty at all ranks to integrate state standards aligned computing content and pedagogy into required education courses, field work and student teaching. Supported by public funding from the New York City Department of Education (NYC DOE) Computer Science for All (CS4All) program and private funding from the Robin Hood Learning + Technology Fund, the initiative will focus on building on and complementing the success of NYCDOE CS4All and pilots to integrate computational thinking at Queens College, Hunter College and Hostos Community College.

The initiative focuses on:
– Supporting institutional change in teacher education programs
– Building faculty computing pedagogical content knowledge through the lens of culturally response-sustaining education
– Supporting faculty research in equitable computing education, inclusive STEM pedagogies, and effects on their students’ instructional practices

Module 7 — City College of New York

• After reviewing the visual resource, “Powering Connections: Teacher candidate perspectives on Computer Integrated Technology”, please respond to the following questions in this thread:

What are your thoughts on the teacher candidate visual resource? What surprised you? What resonated with you? What other perspectives do you wish had been included?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • I thought the visual storytelling resource was an excellent way to share information.  I consider myself to be a very good reader, but having the graphic novel formatting even helped me to stay focused on the material.  I’d  like to try it out myself.

A lot of what was shared resonated with me. I understand what it feels like to be overloaded with technology information and how it can be disempowering. I also understood the teacher candidate, Evelyn’s, substitute teaching experience, feeling overwhelmed by new technology with no explanation. And  I liked Rolla’s advice about how to teach students about scratch and think it could be beneficial for many experiences with new technology– she said not to use a rubric and instead to provide opportunities to play with the new material.  I definitely agree with this.

I really appreciated the unique use of cartooning.  I think that is an innovative way to use for presenting the information.  What really resonated with me was Warrick’s class and discussing digital privacy.  I think this is something that doesn’t get discussed enough.  Also, how your data is used, or the potential career paths in cyber technology.

Another slide was Lisbeth.  Her need to to be able to ask for help.  That’s hard and we all struggle with it in one form or another, but being able to know when you don’t know something and ask-is important.  That’s how we learn.

I think perspectives I didn’t see a lot of were Black student perspectives.  Mr. Warrick was a man of color, but I think being able to hear Black student voices can help to shape and create more equitable lessons, pedagogy, and  spaces for everyone (girls, LGBTQI, BIPOC, disabled,).

I really enjoyed reading and engaging with the visual resource on teacher candidates perspectives on technology. I found it much more accessible than simply presenting the information in a prose narrative format. The graphic novel genre allowed for the teacher candidate’s voices and stories to be prominent in the resource.

Many of the stories resonated with me, particularly those that highlighted the tensions inherent in the use of many tech tools, which can be used in both helpful and harmful ways. I think it makes sense to teach our students the digital literacy skills they need to be able to navigate these tensions and use tools in safe, creative, and productive ways.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.