Public Group active 3 months, 3 weeks ago

Computing Integrated Teacher Education (CITE) @ CUNY

Computing Integrated Teacher Education is a four-year initiative to support CUNY faculty at all ranks to integrate state standards aligned computing content and pedagogy into required education courses, field work and student teaching. Supported by public funding from the New York City Department of Education (NYC DOE) Computer Science for All (CS4All) program and private funding from the Robin Hood Learning + Technology Fund, the initiative will focus on building on and complementing the success of NYCDOE CS4All and pilots to integrate computational thinking at Queens College, Hunter College and Hostos Community College.

The initiative focuses on:
– Supporting institutional change in teacher education programs
– Building faculty computing pedagogical content knowledge through the lens of culturally response-sustaining education
– Supporting faculty research in equitable computing education, inclusive STEM pedagogies, and effects on their students’ instructional practices

Module 6 — Hostos Community College

• Background

The CITE Equity Working group has put together some resources to support faculty to think about equity in the context of designing CITE Artifacts

Task

• Feel free to annotate our document on Manifold with any noticings, wonderings, resources, and ideas you have as you review it! You will need to go to this site and create an account: https://cuny.manifoldapp.org/

Then, come back here and share your responses to any number of these prompts:

• What are some noticings / wonderings you have about how we’ve framed equity in CITE? Any feedback for us?
    • Where do you see connections between the spotlights you read last week and the ideas shared about equity in this week’s resources?
    • What are some of the inequities that you are interested in tackling as you design and roll out CITE artifacts?
    • After reading this, where do you think you might challenge yourself to go next?
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Hi All,

First, I would like to say that I believe the spotlights really enhance and put what we have been reading into practice. For me, I think the challenge is that I am putting too much thought into this exercise of creating an artifact. By putting too much worry and focus, I think I need to think of the simple aspects of what I want my students to do. How do I want to highlight things and experiences that they have and for them to connect them to their teaching? I think this would help bridge the gap with the equity issue.

I think my next challenge is to really digest what I have read further and to take the musings from this working document and infuse it into my artifact in both small and large ways.

Hello all,

To tell you the truth, this is a lot to read. The big challenge is to really digest all these information. I could say that a lot resonate with me, even though I will not apply to much in my daily activities.

But one thing I am truly certain about is that I will always promote joyful, meaningful learning in my classroom.

I love this section on equity, which is why I got stuck in my progress in the asynchronous. I went all the way down the rabbit hole and read too much (can’t process all of it yet, but know where to go for it now).

• The thing I noticed is that the idea of “people before technology” comes across clearly as one reads across the various possible “moves to support teacher and K-12 education” – it is a good reminder that tools (even high tech ones) are useless without understanding experiences from the student lens.
      • The thing I wonder is around centering the work in the classroom when one of the goals is to “transform institutions towards justice” overall. Proceeding with course-level change seems to be a very slow and often unsuccessful way of creating broader change in an institution and some students benefit from this work while others (in another section of the same class even) have a different experience and miss out on the opportunities afforded. How do we promote institutional change this way?

The centering learning on the students is clearly present across all of the spotlights that I read. The spotlights helped me think about what kind of investigations would likely be (hopefully be) joyful and meaningful for students to explore. At the same time, I wonder how to elicit student feedback in time to use to help improve the artifact after having created an artifact that I assume will bring out these feelings and experiences for students. In the spotlights, did I miss how students perceived the artifact? I think hearing the student voices in response to engaging with the artifacts would be amazing; however, I know IRB and all that is needed to share such responses publicly (another catch).

Since I am involved in Probability and Statistics, after reading the spotlights, I have shifted my thoughts to problematizing labels and demographic data. I am interested in seeing how students identify themselves versus how CUNY and the Census try to aggregate individuals. I’m interested in seeing who is missing from the data, who is made invisible, and who is overrepresented, and why.Of course, using free technology that does not collect personal data is preferable to me because all those privacy “agreements” drive me crazy with how much they share with “third-party” that I don’t really trust. The collection of big data seems to often perpetuate historical inequities and then hide them in smoke and mirrors of “objective data science.” Coded Bias anyone?

I am looking forward to making myself incredibly uncomfortable with the development of the artifact I just mentioned above. I am glad that I read this module so closely, because it really prioritized the learning of the student about, with, through, and against technology not just the learning of technology.  A worry I have is the ongoing struggle of ‘covering the material’ versus ‘providing time for learning’. We often cram too much into a course, and I’m adding aspects to this course without really knowing what I can sacrifice and/or if these moves will save time because engaged students learn more.