Computing Integrated Teacher Education (CITE) @ CUNY

Public Group active 1 month, 1 week ago

Group logo of Computing Integrated Teacher Education (CITE) @ CUNY

Module 3 – Brooklyn College

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #139762

Background

• The design process is at the center of our work together this summer.

Task

• We invite you to visually represent or model your own design process using some digital tool.
    • You can capture how you design or make anything — whether it’s related to your work as a teacher educator or not.
    • You can share your typical design process, or create a vision for a more idealized or aspirational design process.
    • We think doing this will help you learn a new digital tool, and to help you think intentionally about your design process in advance of our work together this summer.

To complete this task:

To visualize your design process, select and use a digital tool  – preferably one that’s new to you or that you want more practice with. You can use one of the ones we recommend below, or locate your own.

NOTE: Some of these require you to create accounts. If you’d like, take a look at the privacy policies of these tools to see if the benefits of signing up would outweigh the risks for you.

Stuck?

• Consult any online tutorials the tool may have on their site
    • Try sketching something on paper first, or do some free-writing to generate ideas about how you generally go about design!
    • Make multiple “rapid prototype” iterations until something feels right.
    • If you’re stuck on something, we encourage you to troubleshoot. Google around, use your colleagues as resources, or go to our help sessions on Mondays!

To Share:

• Reply to this thread.
    • Add a brief reflection:
      • Share something new you learned about the tool you used.
      • Did you look at the privacy policy? Did anything stand out there?
      • Share any limitations of the tool that you used that you discovered.
    • You can share your work as a link, or an attachment to this discussion thread
    • If you’d like to embed an image in your post, you’ll have to upload it somewhere first (for example at imgur). Then use the image icon in the discussion forum to link to it.
    #140019
    • I picked Jamboard to use since my students already use padlet for a project at the start of the semester and as I was exploring the options, Jamboard felt the most comparable and therefore comfortable to work with since I’ve worked with padlet for two semesters. I decided to explore Jamboard as a way to extend my current mini project that my students complete. My students use padlet as a tool to explore and explain specific pieces of literacy that have impacted their lives. I decided to do something similar, except look at how digital literacy impacts my day, with a focus on which apps I spend the time most time on.
    • I did not look at the privacy policy because my Google account automatically set me up with Jamboard and I did not seek out to find out more information about it. I guess this means that I likely trust Google way too much with my life and my information!
    • I didn’t sense any limitations while working with Jamboard other than I am so used to writing longer explanations and this seems a bit limited on Jamboard, although there is a textbox option to write more details.
    • One thing that I really enjoyed is that once I got started, I found myself color categorizing and making size selections of pictures and text based on the type of app and the amount of time that I spend on the app.

Jamboard Link 

#140265

<p style=”font-weight: 400;”>

• I enjoyed working on this module because I heard about tools mentioned such as jamboard and pallet but was not familiar with any of these tools. To be honest, all I know the most was PowerPoint.  I decided to use Padlet because I just like the way that I can organized the information and also I saw the padlet more in other occasions.
    • I didn’t look at the privacy policy because I signed with Microsoft account so I feel little more safe than other tools. Maybe it is just my bias and preconceived notion that it is safer to sign with Microsoft account.
    • Because I am still at the exploring/novice stage, I cannot determine any limitation with the padlet.

<p style=”font-weight: 400;”>I just created a very initial draft of the padlet.   To be honest, I don’t have how to design my artifact but I just want to start with a small thing first.
    <p style=”font-weight: 400;”>https://padlet.com/yoonjoolee85/understanding-disability-in-cultural-social-and-educational–tus8h0blvagvr6x9

#140266

Michelle,  I heard about both Jamboard and Padlet but I am not familiar with both tools.  Since you are already familiar with padlet and picked Jamboard to use, I am curious to find out what you will discover as you become familiar with both tools.  I was debating between these two and selected Padlet because I was recently more exposed to Padlet.  Please keep me posted about your learning journey.

#140280

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1P2S_JIrPZKvPn5Txrp7nNIjW_rGol9lu9g2WNVw_QG8/edit#slide=id.g24f4f0bef46_0_0

The tools that I used were Google Slides and Canva. During my free time I craft using my Cricut machine. Many people are unsure what a Cricut machine does, and don’t know about all of the different projects that can be made using this cutting machine. I have been using this machine and Digital Software with my 6th grade students at work and they have created many projects for our community, our school and their families. During our Open House I created a Cricut Brochure using Google Slides to hand out to the parents to inform them about what the Cricut machine is and how it can be beneficial for students to use in school to express their creativity. I have also designed slides through Canva and uploaded them to Google Slides. I like using Canva because there are so many different features and there are many templates that already look great. Sometimes Canva can be a little overwhelming for me because there are too many options. Something new that I learned was how to use the templates on Google Slides to make a brochure.

When it comes to the privacy policy I felt comfortable using Google Slides since it is attached to my Google Account

There are limitations for each application that we use. Some limitations with Google Slides is that there are limited templates within the application. You would have to download them separately and import them. Another limitation of Google Slides is that you cannot upload a PDF to show in the slideshow. I still feel that Google Slides is one of the best applications because you can easily share with other colleagues and work simultaneously on projects.

#140325

I found that Padlet was much better for organizing my thoughts, since they already provide organizational templates to follow. I also think Padlet gives the creator more space to explain their diagram with larger text boxes. After comparing the two, I find Jamboard to be much more limited and I like working with Padlet since it offers more organizational and textual features!

#140344
    • Brief Summary: Being familiar with Jamboard, Padlet, Canva, Google Slides, and PowerPoint, I decided to tinker with Miro.  As the task requested the development of a visual representation of our own design process, I developed a mind map of my pedagogical design process, based on  Wiggin and McTighe’s (1998) Understanding by Design (see thread attachment).
    • What I Learned: After tinkering with the the varying templates (e.g., mapping, diagramming, brainstorming, and meetings) Miro provides, I found the interface to be intuitive and user-friendly.  Miro can also integrate with many other platforms (e.g., Zoom, Google Meet, and Microsoft Teams), and provides an AI tool.
    • Privacy Policy: Miro’s privacy policy is similar to policies of other digital tools.
    • Limitations:  While links can be inserted, images and videos cannot.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #140346

*I am re-posting my reply, as my previous post included the incorrect attachment!

• Brief Reflection: Being familiar with Jamboard, Padlet, Canva, Google Slides, and PowerPoint, I decided to tinker with Miro.  As the task requested the development of a visual representation of our own design process, I developed a mind map of my pedagogical design process, based on  Wiggin and McTighe’s (1998) Understanding by Design (see thread attachment).
    • Privacy Policy:  Miro’s privacy policy is similar to policies of other digital tools.
    • Link: https://miro.com/app/board/uXjVMBPbyU0=/?share_link_id=432371661290
    Attachments:
    #140435

I decided to tinker with loopy because I’ve never used it before. I found it pretty easy to use/create and the already made examples helped. I don’t remember being prompted to read the privacy policy, but I did notice your work could be public as this is a public domain.  The shareable link may be modified for access I believe. I felt once I put together the design pattern, I felt really confused about how to use the arrows. Indicating the right movement/direction of the arrows and the flow of the chart wasn’t as easy; and I’m not sure I figured it out.

Link to my attempt here 

#140588

I chose to work with Canva because I never have worked with it before. it is rather user friendly, although there were a couple of hiccups along the way, but mostly my fault. That’s why tinkering is helpful. Instead of discussing my work at Brooklyn College I decided to discuss the conference that I try to put on every year. I thought it would be a good idea to discuss since it has been on my mind for a long time now. Also by discussing my process I can see limitations and I can reflect on my own practices.

Through this process I learned that I can use Canva and that I can assign my students to use Canva. However I will have to prep them to get images first and to write out a script and outline based on what they will be presenting. I also learned that classmates can give feedback easily and so a lot can be done on this forum, or with this tool.

The privacy policy seems to be the same as most privacy policies. I guess I am jaded and don’t believe that anything is private anymore. I will certainly tell my students not to reveal anything personal or say things they wouldn’t share with most people.

The sky is the limit it feels like, but I guess I couldn’t figure out how to move the video bubble so that it wasn’t blocking the slides I created. But i am sure with a little more time I will figure that out.

Here is my Canva presentation: https://www.canva.com/design/DAFlniXhVjg/E6Ou9l6ydq9_dYJWDQicKA/view?utm_content=DAFlniXhVjg&utm_campaign=designshare&utm_medium=link&utm_source=publishsharelink

#140589

I just found a limitation while reviewing the video I made. On my computer in Canva it plays the whole film seamlessly. But when I opened the link here I realized that viewers have to click through every slide. I wonder if that was my fault? I will have to look into that.

#140768

hi everybody, I am attaching a rough draft of the work that., together with two of my grad students, we are creating for the CITE artifact. The attached is a ppt that includes small size geometric constructions I made long time ago using Geometer Sketchpad. For this project, we will use Geogebra as well as other math-specific tools. We are exploring also, the use of SageModeler which I hope we will learn during Summer Camp 11.

I am looking forward to your comments and questions.

Betina

Attachments:
    #140772

Also, I’m sharing here, as an example, the link to a Jamboard file involving a problem about cyclic quadrilaterals–from the wonderful site called nrich–done by Peisi Li, as an in-class non routine problem-based mini lesson, online, via zoom, with breakout groups. We discovered that the combination of Zoom/Break-out rooms + Jamboard was ideal as a digital substitute for the in-person use of chalkboard and poster paper.

https://jamboard.google.com/d/144fziGQHl9y3pXeQaIadLMWCQ6AO90MSg1x-PnDQl0s/edit?usp=sharing

Enjoy!

Betina

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.