Public Group active 4 months ago

Computing Integrated Teacher Education (CITE) @ CUNY

Computing Integrated Teacher Education is a four-year initiative to support CUNY faculty at all ranks to integrate state standards aligned computing content and pedagogy into required education courses, field work and student teaching. Supported by public funding from the New York City Department of Education (NYC DOE) Computer Science for All (CS4All) program and private funding from the Robin Hood Learning + Technology Fund, the initiative will focus on building on and complementing the success of NYCDOE CS4All and pilots to integrate computational thinking at Queens College, Hunter College and Hostos Community College.

The initiative focuses on:
– Supporting institutional change in teacher education programs
– Building faculty computing pedagogical content knowledge through the lens of culturally response-sustaining education
– Supporting faculty research in equitable computing education, inclusive STEM pedagogies, and effects on their students’ instructional practices

Module 1 – City Tech

• Reply to this post with a response to the prompts below by the module due date.

• Introduce yourself with your name, college, role(s)
    • Share the rationale cards you kept in your hand all the way to the end of the game. Why did you keep these to the end? Why did you discard particular cards?
    • What connections can you make between the values you reviewed and the examples from people’s digital lives?
    • How did you interact with the game? What worked / didn’t work about our game prototype? Did you follow the rules as written? Did you “tinker” with the algorithm (rules) of the game? If so, how?
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • I believe we should integrate computing and digital literacies into teacher education because it is an important 21st century skill in being an informed responsible citizen. Teaching their students computing and digital skills is part of building equity for students of diverse backgrounds and abilities.

The five cards I kept focused on students and teachers having technological and digital literacies in all aspects of their lives.

In my opinion, integrating computing and digital literacies into teacher education will open up alternative assessments such as project based learning and will increase teachers and students ability to creatively manage the discernment of data and data driving learning. I felt that the cards that I discarded were somewhat subjective and assessing the students holistically may be challenging.

I felt that some of the values I reviewed were too broad in their description and made it challenging to decide if to keep the card or discard it. I also think that examples of people’s digital lives needs to be self- directed and be supported by a community.