Public Group active 4 months, 3 weeks ago

Computing Integrated Teacher Education (CITE) @ CUNY

Computing Integrated Teacher Education is a four-year initiative to support CUNY faculty at all ranks to integrate state standards aligned computing content and pedagogy into required education courses, field work and student teaching. Supported by public funding from the New York City Department of Education (NYC DOE) Computer Science for All (CS4All) program and private funding from the Robin Hood Learning + Technology Fund, the initiative will focus on building on and complementing the success of NYCDOE CS4All and pilots to integrate computational thinking at Queens College, Hunter College and Hostos Community College.

The initiative focuses on:
– Supporting institutional change in teacher education programs
– Building faculty computing pedagogical content knowledge through the lens of culturally response-sustaining education
– Supporting faculty research in equitable computing education, inclusive STEM pedagogies, and effects on their students’ instructional practices

Module 1 – Hostos

• Reply to this post with a response to the prompts below by the module due date.

• Introduce yourself with your name, college, role(s)
    • Share the rationale cards you kept in your hand all the way to the end of the game. Why did you keep these to the end? Why did you discard particular cards?
    • What connections can you make between the values you reviewed and the examples from people’s digital lives?
    • How did you interact with the game? What worked / didn’t work about our game prototype? Did you follow the rules as written? Did you “tinker” with the algorithm (rules) of the game? If so, how?
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Hello Everyone. I am Marcella Mandracchia, and I am an adjunct assistant professor at Hostos CC in the Education Department.

I followed the rules to a particular letter! My modification was that I tried only to have 5 in my overflow pile. I did this to review what I had in that pile and see if I needed to move anything from my overflow pile to my main pile. This helped me organize myself while playing this game, making it easy to make my final choices for my pile.

I discarded cards not because I didn’t believe in them or found no value in them. I thought about what actually speaks to who I am as a professor and an educator. I teach in many different areas of Education depending on the school I am teaching in. I played this game with the idea of who I am at the crux of being a teacher.

Therefore, I chose the following:

44 – practices like computational modeling and simulation can help teachers and students understand phenomena and conduct inquiries in subjects like science and social studies

10 – being a good citizen in the 21st century means being  responsible, ethical digital citizen

43 – it will help teachers usher in more project and inquiry-based learning approaches that  can enhance school pedagogy and move away from sage on the stage approaches

3 – the more people we have that understand computing and digital literacies, the more innovations and new knowledge we can produce as a society

41 – data practices like collection, analysis, and visualization support teachers with learning about learners and communities, assessment, planning, and reflection.

As I stated previously, this all speaks to items I teach as a collective unit throughout my various departments and schools. These aspects are items that the teacher candidates need to internalize as well as model for their own students. I feel that the values I chose are valid examples from my own life as this is what I model to my teacher candidates and what I hope they model to their own students.

Hey all! AJ Stachelek from Hostos Community College where I am a Director of Assessment and Associate Professor of Mathematics.

Rationale cards kept:
    9 – it can help change the status quo, where our technology is largely designed by economically, racially, and socially privileged groups, and their biases and blind spots get embedded in our tech.
    15 – because when teachers can “get under the hood” of tools and technologies, they can better use and adapt them to fit their needs and those of their learners.
    17 – because collaboration on computing/digital literacies projects leads to meaningful relationships both among peers as well as adults.
    43 – it will help teachers usher in more project and inquiry-based learning approaches that can enhance school pedagogy and move away from sage on the stage approaches.

I kept these five cards because they spanned the purposes for the work I am involved with in implementing R programming and Excel in the Introductory Statistics course. My overarching goals are to move from computation to conceptual thinking and dive deep into data analysis. Furthermore, I think equity and social justice needs to be embedded in any discuss of data because of the biased nature of algorithms based on historical data (that is inherently biased).

For connections to the people’s digital lives, I saw some projects that I became highly interested in, namely: Data for Black Lives, Social Justice and Computing Activities (such as the Bias in the Census and Hiring Algorithms), Civic Data Design Lab, Beta NYC, and Open Data Ambassadors.

The game was a bit of a struggle for me at first because I didn’t have a clear sense as to what some of the phrases could mean in relation to the work I’m doing. I had to finally give up on the “only five cards” in my hand and “only five cards” in the other non-discard pile because I inherently wanted to sort by themes that I found important. In one pile, I ended up with three to four cards that matched the following three categories: 1) top social justice statements that rang true for me, 2) the need for access to resources and careers, and 3) the cards applicable to my view of what is important for pedagogy. I ended up with 11 cards so finally had to remove one more, which was luckily duplicate enough to another that I could part with it. I don’t think I could have done it with only two piles because I needed to sort by my top three necessities.

Hello,

Here is Edme Soho, Associate professor in the mathematics department at Hostos Community College.

Here are my 5 cards:

1. #2 – It will help diversify the tech industry pipeline.
    2. #7 – Theachers need to be able to interrogate education technologies for their potentially harmful impacts or assumptions about especially marginalized students and communities.
    3. #42 – Teachers can learn to find, use and create open educational resources that will be more accessible to them and their students.
    4. #13 – Tech is changing the nature of schooling. Teachers need to have knowledge and skills to navigate and computational tools and literacies.
    5. #9 – It can help change the status quo, where our technology is largely designed by economically, racially, and socially privileged groups, and their biases and blind spots get embedded in our tech.

I think for me the big theme that emerged was that tech is here to stay, so it is important that every user becomes comfortable and understand how to navigate any platform that pertained to its domain.