Public Group active 5 months ago

Computing Integrated Teacher Education (CITE) @ CUNY

Computing Integrated Teacher Education is a four-year initiative to support CUNY faculty at all ranks to integrate state standards aligned computing content and pedagogy into required education courses, field work and student teaching. Supported by public funding from the New York City Department of Education (NYC DOE) Computer Science for All (CS4All) program and private funding from the Robin Hood Learning + Technology Fund, the initiative will focus on building on and complementing the success of NYCDOE CS4All and pilots to integrate computational thinking at Queens College, Hunter College and Hostos Community College.

The initiative focuses on:
– Supporting institutional change in teacher education programs
– Building faculty computing pedagogical content knowledge through the lens of culturally response-sustaining education
– Supporting faculty research in equitable computing education, inclusive STEM pedagogies, and effects on their students’ instructional practices

Module 0 – City College

• Welcome to the discussion forum!

Reply to this message with:

• Your name, college, role(s), and the pronouns you use
    • Your thoughts about the Commons or any of the tools that you read about or played with in the module.
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Hi,

My name is Megan Blumenreich (she, her) and I’m a Childhood Education professor at CCNY.  I’m also the program director.

I learned about CUNY’s Academic Commons a while back and will be happy to learn more about it.  I use Flipgrid and Padlet in my courses (since COVID) and am eager to learn about integrating similar resources into my courses.

Hi,

I am Robin Glassberg (she/her) and I am an Adjunct Instructor at City college of New York.  I train per-service teachers doing a two-year fellowship.  I am in the TESOL/Bilingual/SPED education departments.

From Module 0- I learned that there are so many tools and different ways to use the tools for this program.  I really liked the flash cards and the game.   I really felt like I connected with all of them to the work I do, but the one that resonated with me the most was, “…it will help diversify the tech industry pipeline.”   Teachers learning about different ways to bring computing literacy into the classroom will inevitably change the diversity and equity issues in tech, by exposure.

I love flipgrid and padlet – before the pandemic started in march of 2020, my teachers were using these tools in their classrooms.  I also have used them for presentations.  I am excited to learn more, grow, and try new tools.

Hi everyone,

My name is Dina López (she/her/ella), and I am an Associate Professor and Program Director for the Bilingual Education and TESOL programs at CCNY.

I’m really interested in learning more about the Commons and how I might use it as a resource for both my teaching and scholarly publications. I have experience some experience using flipgrid, padlet, and jamboard in my classes, and I am very excited to continue to learn how to use these tools in new ways.