LTS 360/ART 350 Special Topics: Interdisciplinary Design Course: Immigration Design

Group logo of LTS 360/ART 350 Special Topics: Interdisciplinary Design Course: Immigration Design

Case Study Assignment

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #109828

I love seeing that your family was personally impacted by this!
    What do you think of the critique that it favors people who already have family? Some say that’s unfair to people who want to migrate for the first time and don’t have family already. Others say that a merit-based system is better for the economy than a family reunification system because it opens the doors to those who have professional qualifications that serve the economy as opposed to family members who may or may not “contribute” economically. What do you say to this?

#109829

Great info, but what question I’m left with is: does it work? Does the current number of people who are able to immigrate with this program achieve the stated goal of diversifying the immigration flow?

#109830

I wasn’t aware of when deportation began. Thank you for that historical detail.

You say:

This program does not exclude anyone as everyone plays their role or is involved for instance people who are citizens of the United States may feel safer when criminals are being deported. Unfortunately, on the other hand it does harm families and children as they are often broken up and separated.

Who is deported? How do we, or the government know, it is deporting criminals? You don’t include specific data about how deportations increased to record levels under Obama. Trump continued deporting at a high rate, but now Biden has, officially, called for a moratorium on deportations, even though in reality deportations have continued.

You seem convinced that only “bad guys” are deported. Do you have evidence for that? How are people designated as “deportable”? Who is safe from deportation? How does due process work? What about the idea that deporting someone after they serve time for a crime is double jeopardy? I’d like to see more detail here.

#109831

So much detail! Thank you!
    These visa categories are really the bread and butter of our immigration system. When people say immigrants should “get in line” this is the main line that they’re referring to. Who gets to immigrate? Who doesn’t? I’m not sure I get a sense from this whether these programs are sufficiently accessible and whether they meet their stated goals.

#109832

Great.
    How about the current “asylum crisis”? What caused it? Who is currently most likely to ask for asylum? Who is most likely to receive it?

You say:

Many of those who apply for asylum with legitimate claims are still rejected because of how dysfunctional and xenophobic the system can be. I’ve never known someone who had their claim for asylum rejected, but to be fair the relative of mine from Denmark who have immigrated aren’t fleeing violence.

What are the rates of rejection/granting of asylum? How have policies surrounding asylum changed only in the last few years? Sessions, as Trump’s AG, made it impossible, for example, to claim asylum on the basis of domestic violence or gang violence, and those claims are at the root of a lot of the reasons Central Americans currently flee their countries. Biden has already tried to undo some of these restrictions… what does this mean for asylum? I’d like to see more up to date info in your case study.

#109833

So much detail and so powerful!
    Only one important correction: DAPA was never allowed to be implemented. No one has benefited from the program because Obama was blocked from implementing it with an executive order. Do you think, though, that it is part of what Biden’s new immigration legislation package includes? That DAPA and DACA have essentially been folded into the new legislative proposal (proposal, not law– there’s a long road ahead of us before it’s law)?

#109838
    Emely
    Participant

Hello Professor, Thank you for the feedback and comments. Here I searched more about deportations. “In the 105 years between 1892 and 1997, the United States deported 2.1 million people. … Bush, about 2.0 million people were deported, while between 2009 and 2016, during the Presidency of Barack Obama, about 3.2 million people were deported”.

1. Who does this program or category exclude? Who does its harm? Do you know anyone who was harmed by this program/category?

In this question I didn’t mean that only bad criminals are being deported, what I meant was that if the goverment took that option of only deporting criminals the U.S would feel safer, even at the end I wrote that if I had the power of changing something for that law, would be just deport the criminals and allow the people that has been working hard for years and in the present to stay here and give them the opportunity to keep working.  I apologize for the confusion.