Poets Together!

Public Group active 1 year, 6 months ago

upcoming thinking

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

hello dear friends, whoever you be at the moment : GREAT moment indeed, given tomorrow and all that

a few things about our last topic, which was translation: I just zoomed in on Damien Searls speaking of his translation of Gide’s Marshlands (Paludes) which is a centerpiece of the art on the art and a lot else, not boredom but repetition

and among books on translation, besides the three we concentrated on, there is of course David Bellos: Is that a fish in your ear, and Kate Briggs: The Little Art, and Ann Carson, and if you missed the highly irritating George Steiner: After Babel, well, what to say, who has time??

Since I had been wanting to think of omissions, the deleted passages from Marshlands would be a way to go

I don’t Know JonFosse??? but there are a great many directions we can take in our five discussion weeks on “surrealisms” about which, as I hope I said, or into which almost everything fits in: it is a way of looking at texts and art, not necessarily related to Breton’s way of looking, or anyone else’s: we are starting with Hope Mirrlees’ Paris of 1920 published by the Hogarth Press, with Virginia Woolf’s marking of some of the proof pages (nope, don’t have them, but everything is of interest)

and I would love to hear from any and all of you joining in our Tuesday 2:15-4 discussions what you would LIKE to hear us share with you reading

Best to you,

and warmly to each,

Mary Ann Caws

maryanncaws@gmail.com

macaws@gc.cuny.edu

a lot

Mary Ann Caws

Patricia Brody
    Participant

Mary Ann Starting date Feb 2?

Looking VERY forward to meeting again.

Any suggestion for a juicy bit where translation & surrealism cross …
    fields?

Happy New Year one more time.

Patricia (B)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.