Public Group active 3 years, 6 months ago

EAS 10600 #M Group F

Hi Students from EAS 106 #M, this is Group F. You will be discussing here for the rest of the semester!

Admins:

• Profile Photo
    Maria Centeno replied to the topic Lab 3: Discovering Plate Boundaries Continuing Discussion

After reading my classmates observations it became more clear and I understand the reason behind the different patterns we observed. Based on the observations, I agree that the plate boundaries should be classified in the categories of ocean-continent, ocean-ocean-, and continent-continent. Within these categories we have spreading zones,…[Read more]

• Profile Photo
    Tajria Afrin replied to the topic Lab 3: Discovering Plate Boundaries Continuing Discussion

My group and I have come up with similar observations and from our answers, it can be seen that a classification system can be based on where one plate boundary meets another plate boundary. This being, ocean-ocean, continent-continent and ocean-continent. We saw that for volcanoes, most of them occur at an ocean-continent boundary, therefore, we…[Read more]

• Profile Photo
    Windsor Sippel replied to the topic Lab 3: Discovering Plate Boundaries Continuing Discussion

I agree thoroughly with Natalia on the fact that after reading all the observations collected by our group on the patterns of volcanoes, earthquakes, topography, and seafloor age relative to plate boundaries, it becomes clear that there should be 3 distinct categories for our boundary classifications. Those of course being ocean-ocean,…[Read more]

• Profile Photo
    Natalia Nieto-Wire replied to the topic Lab 3: Discovering Plate Boundaries Continuing Discussion

The observations suggest that boundaries can be classified by where plates are meeting with other plates. At Ocean-Continent boundaries, where plate boundaries are meeting on the coast of a continent, there is a high concentration of volcanoes and earthquakes occurring in a curvilinear pattern along the line of the boundary. At these boundaries…[Read more]

• Profile Photo
    Maria Centeno replied to the topic Lab 3: Discovering Plate Boundaries Classifications

1. Are volcanoes present at ALL boundaries?
    – Not all volcanoes are present in all boundaries
    2.
    – Volcanoes seem to occur mostly at the plate boundary in a linear way following the boundary itself
    3.
    – I found 5 unique plate boundaries. V1 between the Pacific and North American Plate, V2 between the Nazca and South American Plate, V3 at the…[Read more]

• Profile Photo
    Tajria Afrin replied to the topic Lab 3: Discovering Plate Boundaries Classifications

1a) No, all volcanoes are not present on all boundaries.

1b) Volcanoes that occur near or at a plate boundary are distributed in a linear pattern. There are many volcanoes occurring in a small area, therefore, the dots look like lines. Although there are a lot of volcanoes in a small area, they are spread out all throughout the map. There is no…[Read more]

• Profile Photo
    Natalia Nieto-Wire replied to the topic Lab 3: Discovering Plate Boundaries Classifications

1a. No, they are present at all but not all of the boundaries. 

1b. They are more densely concentrated along some boundaries and occur in linear or curved patterns. At the boundaries where the volcano distribution is most concentrated and linear, the volcanoes occur on top of the boundary. The volcanoes that are more spread out from each…[Read more]

• Profile Photo
    Windsor Sippel replied to the topic Lab 3: Discovering Plate Boundaries Classifications

1A) Yes, although there may be very few, it seems to be that there is at least one or two volcanoes present at some point along every plate boundary.

1B) Volcanoes seem to be much more frequent and densely packed along the ocean-continental plate boundaries. Typically occurring on the continental side of the boundary in a mostly linear fashion…[Read more]

• Profile Photo
    Francesca Lingo started the topic Lab 3: Discovering Plate Boundaries Continuing Discussion

Continuing Discussion – Due on Sunday 2/28/2020 11:59 pm

Take some time to compare your boundary classifications with those provided by others in your group and begin thinking about how you could condense these into a single classification system in which each boundary is associated with a specific pattern of earthquakes, volcanoes, to…[Read more]

• Profile Photo
    Francesca Lingo started the topic Lab 3: Discovering Plate Boundaries Classifications

Discussion Prompt – Due no later than Friday 2/26/2020 11:59 pm

Now that you have made and recorded your observations, write a brief summary to share your boundary classifications with your group. Your post should include 4 sets of classifications, one for each map, i.e., the V, E, T, and S boundaries. If you had lingering questions or ob…[Read more]

• Profile Photo
    Maria Centeno replied to the topic Lab 2: Scientific Method

I thought my house was in pretty good shape since my dad is always making sure everything is fixed but apparently that wasn’t the case. As I was walking around I stepped on some water by the radiator and realized that there were small droplets off water coming from it. At that moment I wondered why this was the case since we recently changed the c…[Read more]

• Profile Photo
    Tajria Afrin replied to the topic Lab 2: Scientific Method

Windsor, I completely agree with your conclusion based on your observations. You stated that once you replaced the flapper valve, the flushing noise and the dripping noise stopped at random times. This makes it convincing that the flapper valve was faulty and was causing the noises.

Although I agree with your conclusion, in your hypothesis you…[Read more]

• Profile Photo

I agree that your hypothesis is not conclusive and might need some further experimentation. In your experiment, you stated that your mom’s food started to change in taste and smell when you put it in the middle rack. This was convincing that the temperature of the fridge plays a role in the freshness of the food. Further,  you put ginger paste in…[Read more]

• Profile Photo
    Natalia Nieto-Wire replied to the topic Lab 2: Scientific Method

Windsor, based on your observations and the lack of flushing noises after changing the flapper valve, I agree that your hypothesis is supported by your observations. The effect of changing the flapper valve is the most compelling evidence supporting your claim because the immediate result of this action was the end of the sound, meaning it was…[Read more]

• Profile Photo

Afrina, based on the additional observation about the hypothesis, I would agree that it is partially but not completely supported by the results of your experiment. Ginger paste and the temperature of the refrigerator are both variables that affect the shelf life of the food, but temperature can also affect how much ginger paste is required. It…[Read more]

• Profile Photo
    Afrina Jareen replied to the topic Lab 2: Scientific Method

In the last few days, I have observed a lot of things but there was one thing that made me wonder why that is happening. I am allergic to a lot of food, so I cook for myself separately. I observed that the food I cooked for myself cannot be eaten after 1 day, they smell and tastes bad but on the other hand, the food my mom is cooking for my other…[Read more]

• Profile Photo
    Windsor Sippel replied to the topic Lab 2: Scientific Method

Natalia, based on your observations and the results of your experiment I have to agree that your hypothesis of the sunlight evaporating the water out of the soil in the plant near the window was not supported by the results of your experiment.  I find the evidence of moist soil being present in the plant pot that was relocated away from the…[Read more]

• Profile Photo

Tajria, based on your observations and the results of your experiment I definitely agree with your conclusion that both the exposure to sunlight throughout the day and the significantly less obstructed heater at night are causing your room to be warmer than your cousins. The portion of your experiment when you placed blankets on top of your…[Read more]

• Profile Photo

Last week I forgot to water the pothos plants that were placed around my house and was worried that the soil had dried out and the plants would die, because I had already been watering them inconsistently for the past month. When I went to water them earlier this week I noticed that the leaves of the plants by the windows were drooping and…[Read more]

• Profile Photo

I live in a four family house and my room is mirrored next to my cousin’s room. I live on the right side of the second floor and she lives on the left side of the second floor. I observed that my room is always warmer than her room, even though we have central heating (long strip heaters attached to the base of the wall) and our rooms have the s…[Read more]

• Load More