Public Group active 3 months, 3 weeks ago

Computing Integrated Teacher Education (CITE) @ CUNY

Computing Integrated Teacher Education is a four-year initiative to support CUNY faculty at all ranks to integrate state standards aligned computing content and pedagogy into required education courses, field work and student teaching. Supported by public funding from the New York City Department of Education (NYC DOE) Computer Science for All (CS4All) program and private funding from the Robin Hood Learning + Technology Fund, the initiative will focus on building on and complementing the success of NYCDOE CS4All and pilots to integrate computational thinking at Queens College, Hunter College and Hostos Community College.

The initiative focuses on:
– Supporting institutional change in teacher education programs
– Building faculty computing pedagogical content knowledge through the lens of culturally response-sustaining education
– Supporting faculty research in equitable computing education, inclusive STEM pedagogies, and effects on their students’ instructional practices

Module 9 – Positioning Students as Math Explorers with Technology – Part 2

• Below, find a discussion prompt associated with Module 9’s Positioning Students as Math Explorers with Technology component.

After completing the module, address any / all of the prompts below:

• In the text it was suggested that we think of students as math explorers. How might doing that influence the tasks PSTs select for students to engage with? Explain.
    • The text describes some of the ways that technology can be used to perpetuate inequities in math classrooms. Did any of those descriptions of inequity resonate with you? How might you use the examples in the text to discuss issues of equity with PSTs.
    • If you asked your PSTs to answer the prompt we provided in the “Prepare” section, what would you hope they included in their descriptions?
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • In fact, in PSTs’ descriptions i would like to see they include the use of math action technology, the use of some platforms as well as the use of technology tools to make math fun in their classroom. I think Desmos is a good one to include in practicing some problems solving where we can contrast some different approach.

First note in my response is that I am not sure if PST’s are practicing secondary teachers or  practices for secondary teachers, it may change my phrasing

<li style=”list-style-type: none;”>
    • In thinking about students as Math Explorer’s, PST would need to select tasks that enable exploration through trying things out, asking questions, being curious, and have the mindset that if you make a mistake it might lead you in a new direction ready to explore.
    • I really have to continue to emphasize that technology does not mean transferring a worksheet to tech.  Or making flashcards using technology.  The low floor/high ceiling emphasis for tasks that are used as examples shares the need for communication among peers.

what I found powerful (particularly about the second example around teaching function) – was that the use of ‘math technology’ led to great ‘student talk’ and ‘discussion’ – Personally, I am a slow math learner – and it helps me to take the ‘esoteric’ out of the mentally trying to represent words into an image into a more tactical – where the visual is real. As I was reading the students dialogue – I was experiencing the same thing (and asking questions) – and then going back to see what the official definition was. In this case it made the definition resonate more to me as I have that example of ‘memory’ to pull from. Same with the ‘mean’ exhibit.

When we think of students as explorers then creating a task needs to have a component that allows them to explore. This could be challenging for many reasons (technology, time, ..), however, I think the learning that results from the exploration, gives room to make mistakes and students are able to assess why something works or did not work. Giving students the opportunity to engage with the math concepts in this way deepens their understanding. They are able to justify the results. Creating these types of tasks requires a deeper look at the math and at planning for the objectives for learning. It is clear that the learning outcomes are more exciting for students and teachers. In this way, the teachers are not lecturing but facilitating and the preparation is done before entering the class.