Public Group active 4 months ago

Computing Integrated Teacher Education (CITE) @ CUNY

Computing Integrated Teacher Education is a four-year initiative to support CUNY faculty at all ranks to integrate state standards aligned computing content and pedagogy into required education courses, field work and student teaching. Supported by public funding from the New York City Department of Education (NYC DOE) Computer Science for All (CS4All) program and private funding from the Robin Hood Learning + Technology Fund, the initiative will focus on building on and complementing the success of NYCDOE CS4All and pilots to integrate computational thinking at Queens College, Hunter College and Hostos Community College.

The initiative focuses on:
– Supporting institutional change in teacher education programs
– Building faculty computing pedagogical content knowledge through the lens of culturally response-sustaining education
– Supporting faculty research in equitable computing education, inclusive STEM pedagogies, and effects on their students’ instructional practices

Module 6 — City College of New York

• Background

The CITE Equity Working group has put together some resources to support faculty to think about equity in the context of designing CITE Artifacts

Task

• Feel free to annotate our document on Manifold with any noticings, wonderings, resources, and ideas you have as you review it! You will need to go to this site and create an account: https://cuny.manifoldapp.org/

Then, come back here and share your responses to any number of these prompts:

• What are some noticings / wonderings you have about how we’ve framed equity in CITE? Any feedback for us?
    • Where do you see connections between the spotlights you read last week and the ideas shared about equity in this week’s resources?
    • What are some of the inequities that you are interested in tackling as you design and roll out CITE artifacts?
    • After reading this, where do you think you might challenge yourself to go next?
Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Some of the inequities as I see it, that I have great interest in is what students bring to the table and how can I help individualize my support. I think that it is very easy to make assumptions that there is increased understanding –but only from those who are vocal. Discomfort and fear are natural feelings that cannot be dismissed.

My challenge for myself is to think about what equity means within a specific context, and how we can implement CITE to encourage involvement and interest, and dissuade fear and discomfort.

CITE’s careful thinking about inequities is apparent in the materials I’ve read so far. In this response I’m going to comment on the connections between CITE’s ideas about equity and the spotlights I viewed and with which I  “tinkered” during modules 4 & 5.  The teacher educator’s materials  ask critical questions such as which  groups are represented and which are not, who is the narrator? and what is their point of view?  For instance, one of the spotlights included a lens of critically exploring digital literacy.  Dr. Ascenzi-Moreno created an artifact that aimed to support her teacher education students “to deepen their understandings of how race, ethnicity, gender, and power circulate in the media.”  The videos and questions that Dr. Ascenzi-Moreno asked encouraged her students to reflect on their own digital literacy practices, to be critical of messages in social media and how algorithms may effect the information the read.

I’ve made some annotations throughout the document with some specific feedback, but I just want to say how impressed I am with how you all framed equity in CITE! I think it provides faculty with a much clearer sense of this guiding value/principle in this work. I also very much appreciated all the tools and resources you provided throughout the document. I’m wondering if you might consider putting together a one page handout based on the tech audit questions you include in the section on “Vetting and critiquing tools, tech and tech cultures.” Thanks again to the team who worked on putting this document together!

I thought the CITE Equity Framework was hitting on a lot of the main points and issues with or facing BIPOC students when it comes to accessing technology.

Some connections from the spotlights were professors who focussed on addressing community connections whether for ENL students or BIPOC students in general.  Either through math or language using coding, plotting or data to create culturally responsive pedagogy (CRP). I would like to focus on the same things – but I think for me using emancipated pedagogy strategies with social justice (community driven solutions).  With the idea that this is raising critical consciousness for the teacher, and BIPOC and non-BIPOC students.

Something that I have been thinking about – is using “Ethics” or “digital Responsibility”to talk about equity, access, and protection.  (I saw a presentation that focused on this at a science conference – Sara, I think you might have been one of the authors:).

What are some noticings/wonderings you have about how we’ve framed equity in CITE?

I made comments on the document in manifold. However, the collaborative approach to unpack the subject of equity is impressive.

Where do you see connections between the spotlights you read last week and the ideas shared about equity in this week’s resources?

In particular, I made connections with the application of ‘Technology Mindsets’ to address issues of equity. I share an interest in the use of student assessment data to draw inferences and design individualized learning experiences. I anticipate exploring this subject in detail later.

What are some of the inequities that you are interested in tackling as you design and roll out CITE?

I am interested in addressing inequities in teacher candidates background and their preparedness for their certification examinations using standardized tests. In addition,  students work lives have been upended as a result of the pandemic, and which exacerbate the impact on their academic life. Finding ways for CT to address these challenges are of interest.

After reading this, where do you think you might challenge yourself to go next?

One of the challenges I plan to confront would be to analyze recent candidate performance data and structure experiences that take into consideration individualized approaches to preparation for these exams utilizing CT.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.