Rhetorical Analysis Essay

Access: LimitedShow Details
  • This Doc can be read by: Anyone
  • This Doc can be edited by: The Doc author only
  • Comments are visible to: Anyone
  • Comments can be posted by: Logged-in Users
  • History can be viewed by: Anyone
Hide Details

Cover Letter #2

In phase number 2 we analyze a text or an article to make a rhetorical situation essay. First I am horrible at English subjects and reading and writing essays,  but this topic, in particular, was very interesting because we could analyze texts that we decided on and that captures our attention the most. I chose Global Warming which is something that catches my attention due to its importance and the lack of care from humans. The audience I tried to catch with this paper is mostly my classmates and students from my college. Mostly because this kind of people can make a big change in this being the “future” of the world and we are the ones that are going to suffer the most of these consequences. If this paper could make an influence at least one person, that is something. One of the most meaningful things about this phase is that I even changed my mind corresponding to global warming. I am going to start recycling by now and doing the most that I can to stop it. Regarding the writing, I can say that now I know the format of writing a rhetorical essay that I didn’t know before. Like I said writing is not my best skill, but I know I have to use it in the future and write a lot of this kind of essay due to my biology major. I understood Pathos, Ethos, and Logos ( that I knew nothing about because I didn’t pay attention to my high school English class). I know I still have a lot to learn but I am putting effort into this and I know I can get it perfect. I learn more about the term rhetorical which means the study of writing with the purpose of communication to a specific or general public. I understood that for a specific kind of public you have to use a specific kind of writing and that you will say it’s obvious but a lot of people do not understand. For example, I wrote a paper for college students and peers of mine. Maybe the normal public will not understand some words that I am writing or a specific topic because they did not have enough knowledge about it. So in contrast I would use some more simple vocabulary and explain more about the topic that is being written about. It is also interesting how can you write a paper about somebody that writes about a paper. Even though it feels confusing, it is very useful when the language is not very clear or easy to digest for some people, so you could make it easier for them to understand the subject and summarize it. I would say that this phase really helped me in learning how to analyze a paper and find rhetorical situations as well as understanding the range of audience writing can offer.

Edwin Fierros 

10/13/2021

FIQWS 10111

Prof. Crowe 

Analysis 130 degrees

The article “130 degrees” by Bill McKibben Provides an amazing amount of information about Global Warming. This article is a review of the book “Our Final Warning: Six Degrees of Climate Emergency” by Mark Lynas. Lynas is a British journalist and activist. The author uses rhetorical features of pathos like empathy and emotional situations to make a big impact on the public. The main question of the article is if we’ll be able to hold the temperature rise or if it will overwhelm the coping capabilities of our civilization. 

This article talks about how the normal world that we live in will change at every human speed if we don’t do something to stop global warming. The amount of time that we have and also what would happen by the increase of 1 degree above the globe’s normal level. There has been researched on different articles and statistics about the subject. We have seen an increase on the planet by 1-degree since the industrial revolution. This make not seem like a dramatic change but it actually is. The main subject of this article is explaining explicitly how our civilization will suffer from each degree of increase in temperature. How can we change or reduce the speed of this process and it makes some comments on political leaders that have done some good and bad decisions for this cause. As we drive, heat, and construct we put tons and tons of CO2 into the atmosphere every year. Most oceans and forests take almost half of what we produce but there are still around 18 billion tons in the air. 

The author clearly argues that if we stay on this trajectory, we could see two degrees around as soon as 2030, three degrees around the 2050s, and four degrees by 2075 or so. He also makes a good comparison between COVID-19 changes in our society to the future global warming situation we are going to have to face. The upheaval that has been caused by this virus is also very much a harbinger of global warming. The author claims that in a world of 2 degrees The Arctic Ocean will be free of ice in the summer, the weather systems will be altered, 79 million people will be displaced near the seaboard and everyone in the northern hemisphere will be moving southward. In a 3-degree world, there will be a collapse on the West Antarctic ice sheet, Higher sea levels, the amazon will die back, superstorms, etc. In a 4-degree world, in some places like Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, peak temperatures will be hotter than 120 degrees, Marine heatwaves will sour oceans, sea temperatures will be above thermal tolerance.

This article explains with very clear words the situation we are going to face and has a writing style that any kind of audience can understand. The comparison between the COVID-19 virus and Global Warming is genius and can create a better impact in the society that is living this pandemic right now. Make political leaders see the situation that we are going to face in the future and that there is no “vaccine” that is going to save us from it. The author has successfully achieved his goal to transmit the message of global warming to all kinds of people, from random persons on the street to big leaders of countries. 

The author uses descriptive language to produce an emotional impact on the reader. McKibben utilizes different scenarios like catastrophes that may happen in a very short time from we are right now. Knowing what would happen to your future children and your children’s children in the future years would affect your emotions and have a bigger impact on your decision-making to change this path. By recycling more, using natural resources ad using a bike instead of a car might be some good things that you could make for the environment and help slow down the process of global warming.