Immigration Narrative - AK

Access: LimitedShow Details
  • This Doc can be read by: Anyone
  • This Doc can be edited by: The Doc author only
  • Comments are visible to: Anyone
  • Comments can be posted by: Logged-in Users
  • History can be viewed by: Anyone
Hide Details

My parents immigrated to the United States of America from The Gambia located in West Africa. They left everything they ever knew to come live in America. Growing up, my siblings and I were brought up in our culture. We learned the language, ate the food, etc. This was my parents’ way of keeping us tied to our roots. I’m constantly reminded of how I have it better than the people back home because of the country I am being raised in (better in terms of lifestyle). I have it easy because I don’t have to work as hard or struggle as much. I am “living a good life”. But none of these statements are true and it’s only being said simply because I was born and am being raised in America. 

Growing up in America isn’t as great as people not from here would expect it to be based on TV shows and lies being told. Not many incidents like this happened but there is one incident that I remember which occured in 5th grade (I think). We were discussing different countries all over the world and we were asked to state to the class the country that we’re from. Another student stated they were from a country in Africa (I forget the country) and someone said something about Africans being poor with a disgusted facial expression. Some students in the class didn’t like this remark. I had to laugh because that had nothing to do with what we were talking about. We were all fascinated by the different things in each country, asking questions, trying to learn more and then the person made that comment. After I replied, “whatever country you from is poor” and the person got mad. This incident didn’t hurt my feelings (in the moment, it did) or affect me in a negative way because I went on with my life but the person didn’t like me for the rest of the school year. People I’ve come in contact with have told me stories that were way worse. They were constantly bullied and harassed simply because they were African. Being called names and stuff by complete strangers while walking down the street and then your classmates treating you like shit. 

Overall, living in America is not all sunshine and rainbows. But the people back home don’t really know this. When they ask how we’re doing, it’s always “I’m doing great, we’re fine, thank God.” Some people here try to downplay their struggles and I feel like for most people, they feel like they would be considered ungrateful if they said otherwise. They feel as if they can’t complain because they don’t go through as much as the people back home. I feel like my parents have this feeling of guilt because they are now living in America. They feel as if they can’t complain when they are struggling and no matter what, they will help their family back home. For others, I think it’s their ego. They went through so much to get here, only for them to be hit with the reality that the “rich lifestyle” doesn’t get handed to you.