• Samantha Rodriguez posted an update 4 years, 1 month ago

For my research topic I will be discussing the evolution of African American Vernacular English aka AAVE. African American Vernacular English is a dialect of english that plays a major interest in my life. As I become a linguistic major I have learned so much about how language and acceptance go hand and hand. From previous professors I have been told there is no correct way to speak when it comes to language. However there is a correct way to write and punctual grammar, therefore we have a limited space for writing but language on the other hand is so diverse. What I love about this topic is that we are becoming more adaptive to it then we know. The music industry is highly populated with rap culture and is highly influenced to the younger generation. I use African American Vernacular English myself in everyday speech when talking to friends. For example I notice myself saying “ this yo stuff” in a hurry when speaking to my friends without even noticing. But however of course I would never use that language in a paper or formal speaking but it is definitely something we all understand even if you don’t use it in your day to day. This is what I love about this topic the most. It has such a variety of speakers and will only become more used over time. Language is a forever evolving aspect and thats the beauty of linguistics knowing things will never stay the same.