Public Group active 3 years, 3 months ago

ANTH 3420 Urban Archaeology OER

Archaeology is undoubtedly most famous for its exploration and discovery of “wonderful things” from the deep past in “exotic” places: Tutankhamun’s tomb! Lost Maya cities! Archaeologists are also keen sift through and ask questions of ancient garbage: What do these tools at Stonehenge suggest about Neolithic and Bronze Age social networks? These discoveries and questions are important for understanding where we came from. However, more and more archaeologists are turning their attention, their theory, and their methods to the recent past and contemporary worlds. This course explores a body of work that advances these efforts in American urban places and considers debates that make the more recent American urban world its object. The course then asks students to assess and evaluate various aspects of American urban life through exposure to a broad range of archaeological case studies.

Admins:

Week 14: NO READINGS DUE-Reflect on our interview with the United Order of Tents

• DUE TUESDAY 11/26 BEFORE CLASS

In lieu of readings this week, we will be meeting in the library in room 283 to continue our work on our projects-(bring your laptops since this room is NOT a multi-media room).  With that, please use this reflection time to share your thoughts on the interview process, experience and information gathering with one of the United Order of Tent’s members that we shared last week.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Blessing Tate
    United Order of the Tents Reflection
    Week 14

United Order of the Tents
    After much research, one would assume that an organization that began with the underground railroad custom of providing “tents” for those that escaped enslavement would encounter preservation issues. Preservation of assets, customs, and their mission. As a mixed woman of color, preserving such a historical organization whose main goal was to care for the under-served, during a period, that when doing so could possibly cost you your life, is of the utmost importance. During the interview with Ms. Gregory (Queen of the North-Eastern district), I learned that it was more important to maintain the secrecy of this organization than to preserve its legacy. Many of the members in the North-Eastern district are at an age where it is difficult to tend to the more pressing issues, such as membership, failing properties, and community outreach. While servicing the sick, elderly, and homeless are just some of the ways in which this historical organization uplifted the former enslaved and African American community, we must also remember the sacrifices made by those who were not black. This history belongs to everyone, not just black people. It is American History, and just like we preserve the place of Lincoln’s birth, it is critical that we find value and the historical significance of the dwindling Tents sites here in the US that need attention. It is not enough to discuss these issues, however, if an action plan is not put in place to secure the continuity of this organization, those that gave up so much for this mission, would have done so in vain.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Blessing Tate.

The Union Order of Tents is an organization run by African American women that were active during the underground railroad. Their focus is to preserve their mission of protecting African American women, and protecting the resources of their mission. Many of the members working in the NYC district are elderly however, and are having difficulty properly preserving their legacy, as well as gaining new attendees and reaching out to the community.

We had the pleasure to interview Ms. Gregory, a member of the Tents. During our interview with one of the United Order of Tent’s members, I’ve learned that the tents care more about the secrecy of their organization than preserving and educating the public of their work during those times. I don’t agree with that mindset, in that history shouldn’t be kept in secret by others, but should be taught to preserve the history of the organization. The Underground Railroad and the events that occurred with it aren’t just a part of African American history, it is American History that affected many American citizens during that era. Due to the organization not having enough resources and new members due to its secrecy, it is imperative to raise awareness about the organization in order to preserve the history.

Reflections #14

The in-class interview with Miss Essie Gregory, a long-time member and leader of the organization known as the League of Tents, was most interesting to me.  Until this class, I had never heard of the League of Tents.  The League of Tents organization works to aid African American families and the elderly who are on hard times.  It came into existence after the Civil War. In the beginning, they used mobile tents to temporarily house people, hence the name.  During the years of the Underground Railroad, secrecy was the key to survival and for the League of Tents this secrecy about the organization has persisted to this day.

While I understand the need for secrecy back then, with the members of the eastern chapter, all being elderly, such secrecy is now a liability.  While their mission hasn’t changed, their effectiveness has dropped, especially in the eastern chapter, where Miss Gregory is a member.

I feel that organizing our class into four groups and preselecting our questions to ask was a highly efficient use of our time and hers.  The questions, in my opinion, were well written and to the point.  I think that we should have chosen more open ended questions in order to gather more information about her and the organization.  The everyone introducing themselves made the interviewee more comfortable and got us more information than we would have gotten from our questions alone.  Miss Gregory seemed to enjoy both the questions and the discussion in general.  She offered us additional information which we had not explicitly questioned her about, for example, how she first learned of the League of Tents. I think that we were able to gather as much information as we could from Miss Gregory.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Nice thoughts everyone. Just note that the organization is The United Order of Tents, not the League and her name is Mrs. Essie Gregory.

Before our meeting with Mrs. Essie Gregory last week I was unsure of what to expect of what a United Order of Tents member would be like. I thought whoever we would be meeting would be much less open about their experience inside the organization. This was based on what I have learned about the organization, being a more secretive and exclusive group. As we began the interview and shared some of our group questions, it was nice to see how much Mrs. Gregory shared about her experience and plans for the United Order of Tents. While they are going through some difficult times financially, I was happy to hear that they are still working hard to grow as an organization and welcome new members in the near future. This will give them an opportunity to continue their long legacy of helping people and their community in need.

One of my favorite parts of the interview was when Mrs. Gregory shared her story about when she discovered the United Order of Tents and wanted to become a member herself. It was very hear that the organization performed rituals in the dark and it just made me wonder what other types of rituals and practices the organization participates in. While some of the more detailed information couldn’t be shared with us it was still very interesting to hear about. Overall, I feel that the interview went very well and our preparation as a class really helped guide the interview in its entirety.