RUG — R User’s Group

Public Group active 3 days, 22 hours ago

Meeting Time?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #80273
    Natalie O’Shea
    Participant

Hi everyone,

Who is interested in meeting this semester?  I was thinking we could schedule an introductory meeting in the next few weeks to figure out a learning plan for next semester… perhaps working through the R for Data Science book together?  For this semester, I was thinking we could also schedule some meetings but have them be more like open office hours to work together on projects using R… so if you’re using R in a final class project or something, you would have a group of people that could help you if you’re stuck.  Let me know what you think!

Best,

Natalie

#80453
    Nadezda Chikurova
    Participant

Tuesday 6:30?

#80531
    Natalie O’Shea
    Participant

This makes sense given our workshop time, the only issue is that I am not available on Tuesday evenings until late November.  Another option could be meeting on alternating Fridays 3-4:15pm so that individuals in the Python User Group can coordinate with us.  Would love to hear other’s thoughts on this!

#80865
    Natalie O’Shea
    Participant

Hi everyone,

Now that we’re in December I’m sure you’re all feeling the mounting end-of-semester pressures.  With that in mind, I propose that we delay our first official in-person meeting until the spring semester but I would love to hear some feedback on what topics you’re most interested in working through together.

I was thinking that we could work through the R for Data Science book together… are people on board for that? Another alternative is working through some of the Software Carpentry modules such as “R for Reproducible Scientific Analysis“.

In terms of our meeting plan, I’m thinking we could find a good time to meet for 1.5 hours.  Maybe designating the first 20 minutes to introductions and updates on what you’ve working on or R-related things you’ve come across that might be of interest to the group (for instance, I just found out that you can run python directly from the RStudio console… no special commands or packages needed!).

Our goal with this group is to help each other on ouR learning journeys (hehe…. see what I did there?). None of us are experts, but you’ll likely find that someone might have more experience with some aspect of coding or know of a great package that will help speed up your analyses. Looking forward to building this community together!

Best,

Natalie

#80866
    Natalie O’Shea
    Participant

By December, I meant November… clearly I’m losing my mind