TSC: Mentoring Students of Color

Public Group active 4 years, 2 months ago

TSC: Mentoring Students of Color

Group logo of TSC: Mentoring Students of Color

mentoring students of color

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #55098
    Nadine Bryce
    Member

Hi Folks,

I just wanted to thank you all for the resources and the great discussion.  Maybe I missed it, but did we discuss the profile of a “traditional” student?  I appreciate what James said about the “nontraditional” student as the common student in some settings.

James, thank you also for the framework for thinking about moving from the mentee to the mentor…I see my own experiences reflected under the “psychology of scholarly exclusion” and the “inferiority complexes” section, particularly as it relates to agency in the classroom.  I am curious about resistance efforts students of color make to this imposed domination of whiteness…I am curious how it is addressed in the literature.

I just wanted to get my thoughts out before the busy-ness of life kicks in for the week.  I’m looking forward our next session.

Phillip, if at all possible, can you do a “Round 2?” of this TSC?  :  )  This scholarly circle is providing such an awesome opportunity for shared inquiry.  Thanks again!  nadine

#55117
    Philip Ewell
    Participant

Thanks for this Nadine!  Yes, it’s a great group.  It’s nice to be able to discuss these issues, issues that one so rarely gets to discuss in a group forum.  Let’s see how we can keep our work alive after the TSC ends.

Thanks, Ricardo, for posting that source as well.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.