Public Group active 3 days, 10 hours ago

CUNY Learning Mindset Modules Group

This Discussion Forum for CUNY Learning Mindset Modules Group is visible to the general public. Anyone on the Internet can see the comments and discussion threads. But only Academic Commons members can join and leave the group, and participate in the discussion.

Admins:

1.5 Fixed Mindset Characteristics

• 💬  Reflection/Discussion: 

• Reflect on your own experiences and identify instances where you have exhibited characteristics of a growth mindset or a fixed mindset. How did these mindsets influence your approach to challenges, setbacks, and learning opportunities? What strategies or shifts in mindset have you found effective in cultivating a growth mindset or overcoming the limitations of a fixed mindset?
Viewing 5 replies - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Hello Jean-Yves,

I love your post. It is a circle. You encourage others to be their best, and they return the encouragement to you.

I feel that I have the strongest growth mindset as it relates to my research- I will often need to learn a new methodology or literature (or sometimes both!) to be able to work on the research questions that I am interested in, and I strive not to let that stop me. Learning new methods is hard and messy and full of mistakes, but incredibly satisfying when I can get it to work! One example is how I was recently able to automate downloading a large amount of entries from the Congressional Record. I was going to do it manually, until my undergraduate research student challenged me to figure out the workflow for automating. It was a bumpy but ultimately exhilerating process!

John, your post deeply resonates with me- it has taken me a long time (in fact, I’m still working on it) to shake off the shoulds from my own two decades of Catholic school.

Great suggestion J.! I just changed office hours to student drop-in hours on my syllabus. I also created a link that students can use to book a 1×1 with me via the Microsoft scheduling tool.

I encouraged students to reach out, but they only scheduled time when I asked them to meet with me about their progress.

I am completely in love with this entire thread and all of the takeaways from individual posts! The growth/fixed mindset is a new concept for me. Applying it to different personal and professional situations has been enlightening as I seem to embrace both of them at different times.

I love skating (ice and quads) and have to constantly battle the inner voice telling me not to try something because I won’t get it as quickly as other skaters. Or I’ll start to learn a new move, become frustrated, and then walk away. But then there’s the growth mindset that reminds me everyone learns at a different pace and starts from the beginning.

I keep two expressions at the front of mind even when not on skates: “If you look down, you fall down” and “If you’re falling, you’re learning.” It helps keep me looking forward and trying new things.