Public Group active 16 hours, 35 minutes ago

CUNY Learning Mindset Modules Group

This Discussion Forum for CUNY Learning Mindset Modules Group is visible to the general public. Anyone on the Internet can see the comments and discussion threads. But only Academic Commons members can join and leave the group, and participate in the discussion.

Admins:

1.6 Cultivate a Growth Mindset in Yourself First (Required to earn certificate)

• 💬  Reflection/Discussion:

• How can you authentically model a growth mindset through your attitude, behaviors, and teaching practices? How can you support and inspire other faculty and staff to cultivate a growth mindset and related behaviors in their academic department and college?
Viewing 5 replies - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • That sounds very true. Modeling a good response to ignorance let’s our students see a good way to react to not knowing as opposed to, say, making something up or being ashamed that they don’t know. Students need to see questions as a way to learn and grow, not the price they pay for getting information that they will need for an exam.

thank you Mark. Couldn’t agree more.

I have worked very hard to have a growth mindset. We educators may have confidence academically, but the way I really wanted to grow was emotionally. During a depression in my thirties, I read that people who meditate have the same brain chemistry as people who had stable or happy childhoods. I started the next day, and within a couple of months, I was a different person. I became about twenty percent happier, which is a big deal. After this, I began to work on myself year after year. Recently, I began doing a meditation that helps me release anger. I have seen for myself that people are often capable of much more growth than they might have believed. I constantly tell my classes stories about students who first struggled, then took over. One of my favorites is the student who had about a B- average. He decided to stop playing video games and to read instead. His final essay was an A-, in just a couple of months his use of language became more agile, and his vocabulary grew. He never would have done that without a growth mindset.

I’m glad you mentioned the way you speak to colleagues. I can certainly think about this more, and suggest the modules to coworkers. We have to see our students as full of potential– and our colleagues as well! When people say, “I’m not good at…” I think: well, do you want to be good at that thing? You may never be great at it, but odds are you can be better.

When I was teaching for the very first time many years ago, I recall that I was afraid of making a mistake in front of my students. But it was tiresome to be nervous and so vigilant all the time, and I learned that one could use mistakes productively. Something as seemingly trivial as a typo on a Powerpoint slide can be recognized and corrected in real time, a micro-lesson in proofing and editing one’s own work. If a student asks a question to which I do not know the answer, I try to make it something that we all research and come back to later (if it’s relevant). Sometimes I wondered how students really saw me in these moments. Then last year I was working with a group of students in an art gallery and we had a task to do that I had never done before. I knew what the outcome was supposed to be, we had the tools, but we were on totally equal footing in being new to the task, and I made it clear we were going to learn together. A couple of students told me that this really helped them approach the task with confidence and not feel bad that they didn’t come in knowing everything already. Nice moment.