Public Group active 4 days, 12 hours ago

CUNY Learning Mindset Modules Group

This Discussion Forum for CUNY Learning Mindset Modules Group is visible to the general public. Anyone on the Internet can see the comments and discussion threads. But only Academic Commons members can join and leave the group, and participate in the discussion.

Admins:

2.2 Discussion Board I: Reflection (Required to earn certificate)

• 💬  Discussion:

• What is the purpose of higher education? What is its value? What are your thoughts on requiring students to take General Education courses outside their chosen field of study? What purpose does it serve? What is its value?
    • What are your thoughts on the sentiment that some students bring motivation with them into their learning & some do not; where does the responibility lie when it comes to student motivation? What is the relationship between student engagement & student motivation?
Viewing 4 replies - 46 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • The purpose of higher education is to provide the space and prompting to allow students to find their own voice, think critically, be able to understand the larger world around them and express their experiences in an organized and coherent manner. I think General Ed. courses provide a framework to see how the pieces fit together and make a more well-rounded student. General Ed courses are essential in allowing students to organize their thinking for their chosen field of study and apply the time management, study and research skills they should be provided in the General Ed. classes.

My first question to students…Why are you here? What do you want to learn? Why are you taking this course? Most people are in school without understanding their why and following a plan set out for them. The key to engagement and motivation is helping people find their why and not being compliant because they want to please their parents or find a good job. As life unfolds if you are not aware of your choices, the ability to discern and find your why becomes increasingly more difficult. It is our duty as educators to facilitate students in finding their why and passion.

For most, but not all students, I think their answer to the question of the purpose of higher education would be related to being able to choose a career of their interest and to be economically secure. This seems to be true now more than ever. As others have said, taking courses outside of their major opens up their minds and worlds and broadens their skill sets, all of which are important in the world of work, and in life in general.

The responsibility lies of course with both the educator and the student in terms of motivation. Some students come to class highly motivated and interested in the subject. Others are motivated simply by getting a good grade and not necessarily interested in the learning process or the subject. And then the motivation to learn of others has been completely sapped before walking into the room. I think our job is to ensure our classes are interesting and to also show the relevance of the subject to the lives of the students. This is easy for me in my personal and community health classes. However, a boring lecture is a boring lecture and even if the subject is relevant, it needs to also be presented in an interesting way. Active engagement of students is required to motivate them!  Some students are going to be present no matter what, and others not present no matter what. It is our job to try to engage those in the middle, and to move those who are not present a little closer to being present with a diversity of engagement strategies and techniques. I like the strategy of giving the students the role of contributors of knowledge rather than consumers of knowledge. I want to do that better.

Higher education’s primary goal is to provide students with the necessary skills to secure employment and cultivate a sense of civic engagement. Higher education offers numerous advantages, including financial stability, knowledge, skills, and attitudes that empower individuals to contribute positively to their communities.
    General education courses play a crucial role in equipping students with a diverse skill set that is essential for thriving in a professional environment. These courses not only broaden students’ understanding of subjects beyond their major but also provide practical skills that are directly applicable in the professional world. For instance, learning a foreign language like Spanish not only enhances linguistic abilities but also offers cultural insights and the potential to serve as interpreters when needed.
    From my experience, I’ve observed that student motivation levels can vary and are often influenced by their cultural backgrounds and upbringing. However, I firmly believe that educators play a crucial role in nurturing motivation. By creating an inclusive learning environment where all students feel comfortable and supported, educators can foster participation without the fear of judgment, thereby enhancing student motivation.
    Student engagement and motivation are closely intertwined. When students can connect their learning content to their interests, hobbies, family, or community, they are more likely to recognize its relevance and importance, leading to increased motivation and a desire to explore and master the material.

This approach is quite intriguing. Understanding the “why” can significantly impact how students react when encountering challenges. Last semester, I provided my students with a logo for their devices that read, “Remember why you started.” This served as a reminder whenever they were tempted to give up, remember the” why,” and despite the challenges, they have not mastered the task “ Yet”.   When students understand why they are enrolled in the course and see the purpose and relevance of the content, they tend to engage more with the material and cultivate a stronger sense of community in the classroom.