Public Group active 9 hours, 3 minutes ago

CUNY Learning Mindset Modules Group

This Discussion Forum for CUNY Learning Mindset Modules Group is visible to the general public. Anyone on the Internet can see the comments and discussion threads. But only Academic Commons members can join and leave the group, and participate in the discussion.

Admins:

Live Workshop Reflection

• Reflecting on our group experience, what was most useful in your breakout discussion? What was something that resonated with you? Was there a new idea that stood out for you? Feel free to give a shout out to community members from your session who influenced your thinking.

This is not meant to be a lengthy reflection. 2-3 sentences, or what you can manage in 5 minutes.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • I feel like sharing our own story on belonging and asking students to share to the extent they feel comfortable would be very helpful to our students.

I like the idea of sharing more of my college experiences (under grad and grad) with students.  I am a CUNY alumni which I do share with students, but I think I could share more of the challenges that came up. Maybe also share a reading with students on imposter syndrome?

What Casandra shared about launching icebreakers *before* the semester starts was helpful. I used to do that but somehow forgot, so I will definitely be bringing the concept back to my classes.

I enjoyed reading about the ways in which others help create opportunities for students to feel comfortable upon the start of the semester and beyond.

I think it was most helpful to hear about the video intros that others use. It is easy to prepare before classes begin and gives a face for students to become familiar with.

Our students go through many of the experiences we had. So, let’s share with our students how we overcome difficulties. That can help them.

I like the idea of being human and vulnerable with my students. It’s important that we let them know that we’re not perfect, that we have failed, that we’re learning just as they’re learning. I think having a save space in the classroom is important but also establishing one beyond the classroom as well.

I felt like we were “just getting started” (given that the breakout was on the short side, as noted by the leaders). 🙂 However, there are belonging-related activities that I had began to develop and apply in past semesters (that admittedly I’d dropped off on a bit in the last semester or two), and these sessions really help “spark” my commitment again.

While I’ve always been open to sharing my college experience, I usually do this upon student prompting rather than openly sharing the information with students. I think there may be a benefit to leading with these stories for students overall since the longer I teach, the less “accessible” I seem to become amongst students in a large introductory class.

Some things that stood out were highlighting overcoming challenges students had prior to starting the class so that it can be revisited as the semester progresses. And making larger strides to reach students who may have a harder time engaging with their instructors so that we can support that sense of belonging.

The importance of developing critical thinking skills and how learning a new topic, even if unrelated to major, may be helpful

In reviewing the topic of the sense of belonging, the areas that resonated the most is that the idea of connecting through technology, personal connections through sharing of personal information, and ways to communicate and provide a “not alone” or “think about your own experience”. The new idea was to consider providing an introduction activity before the start of class. This will expedite and provide a start to the communication. I do think that providing an ongoing activity for connection will ultimately provide a sense of community and foster on-going communication. I enjoyed the sharing and listening of ideas. Thank you.

In the main space before going into breakout, I can’t remember the speakers name (forgive me), but she spoke about the P in GPS. The sharing of her story about being in honors BIO as a senior and needing to pass the class. I had a very similar situation, but for my language requirement. Knowing that I had to pass the sequence of courses or I’d extend my already extended time was terrifying and motivating at the same time. The fact that the presenter knew that she could advocate for herself to see if the degree requirements could be replaced, and successfully get it done, to then get into a course that has had a lasting impact on her life and how she sees her community resonated with me.

It was helpful to hear how CUNY professors and staff are approaching mindset. I appreciated hearing from ASAP staff Liz Stevenson re: NACE compentencies and ASAP’s work in preparing students for college work.

Hearing about participants introduction to college experiences was helpful.  I would have appreciated hearing the breakout room leader’s reaction to her welcoming video and padlet exercises.  Did she feel like doing these actually made students feel more welcomed and increased a sense of belonging?  Was there feedback on that from students? Just curious.

Happily replying to this link actually worked unlike the ice breaker quote. Hearing the leaders experiences a little more first would have been helpful rather than just throwing it out for audience response.  Introductions to the concepts was very quick.

Interesting perhaps that no one spoke up about having felt like they belonged in college. Perhaps few due. Most college students out of high school are still developing. I was a mess, haha! But I didn’t know why. Only many years later could I explain why I didn’t feel as if I belonged–and I’m not sure the college at that time could have helped. Belonging is really an important topic as we think more about the college experience–what we can and cannot help with.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.