Public Group active 3 years, 7 months ago

EAS 10600 #M Group E

Hi Students from EAS 106 #M, this is Group 5. You will be discussing here for the rest of the semester!

Admins:

Lab 1: Introductions Discussion

• Welcome to EAS 106: Fundamentals of Earth System Science! 

Before we get started with the course it’s important to get to know the members of your lab group. You will create your post in the CUNY Academic Commons group to which you were invited by your lab instructor.

For your introductory post, please provide the following information:

1. Tell us your name, pronouns, and, if you have a nickname, let us know what you like to go by.
    2. Tell us what your major is, or what areas of study you are interested in pursuing.
    3. If you feel comfortable, tell us a little about where you are from and any hobbies that you enjoy.
    4. Tell us what you hope to get out of this class and how you hope it will help you in your future college courses.
    5. Share a photo or description of a geologic, hydrologic, or atmospheric feature, process, or environment that interests you. Tell us what you would like to learn about the topic you have chosen.

Once you have created your post, respond to at least two of your classmates in your group. See if there are others who have the same interests as you or who have posted something that you find interesting. Let’s all talk a little as we get started!

A word about Etiquette: 

When posting replies, please be considerate of your peers. The discussion is intended to promote a collaborative learning environment, so be careful of your tone and refrain from inappropriate language or personal attacks. You may challenge others if the intent is to facilitate growth, but do not demand, harass, or embarrass. Encourage others to develop and share their ideas.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
    1. My name is Yussef Ibarra, he/him, you can just call me Yussef.
    2. I am a mathematics major.
    3. I am from South America and I like to listen to music.
    4. I hope to learn about the Earth.
    5. I would love to learn about oceans and smaller bodies of water.

I am Emily Jiang (she/her) and I’m currently pursuing a B.S. in psychology. I am of Chinese descent and enjoy crochet, listening to true crime podcasts, and reading. This class is a general requirement for me, I hope to learn more about earth science in general, nothing in specific.

Off the topic of me head, this geologic process interests me:

Image result for geologic process rocks

I would like to learn more about the specific details of this process, how it works, the different rocks that are formed, etc.

1. My name is Rosiris but I go by Rose.
    2. I’m majoring in math and econ.
    3. I was born and raised in NYC but also spent a lot of my time in the Dominican Republic growing up. I enjoy running and going out to eat with friends. I also looove coffee 🙂
    4. I hope to complete my B.S. requirements to graduate and to learn about earth science at a high level.
    5. I’m interested in renewable energy — particularly water and solar. This class likely won’t go into the mechanics of that/ or technology behind it but I think an intro to earth science will help me understand renewable energy on a more scientific level.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    1. My name is Dahlia Michilena, she/her, and you can just call me Dahlia.
    2. I’m an EAS major with a focus on Hydrology, but I am also really interested in geology.
    3. I’m from the Bronx & I really like baking/cooking.
    4. I hope that this course will be able to help build a strong foundation of EAS knowledge and help me find the subject more enjoyable.
    5. I have always been interested in rock and land formations.

I’m Dominican too, and I also love to run. I think renewable energy as a focus is extremely interesting.

My name is Arthur Egel, as it should say to the left of this post, and my pronouns are formally he/him/his but it doesn’t matter which you use for me.

I am a junior undergraduate and my major is in general chemistry without a specialization.

I’m from Brooklyn though I live upstate now. Recently I’ve been getting into model building.

After taking Global Environmental Hazards and participating in CCNY’s geology club I’ve been fairly interested in earth science and geology. Since this class is required in my major as a choice, with the other option being Biology 102, I thought it would be the more engaging of the two. I look forward to working with the other folks here in Group E.

There are a number of wooded areas in the Appalachian Mts. that I and the rest of the geology club were planning on surveying for a trip in the summer of 2019. While our trips ended up falling through due to the health of several club members, the hydrologic and geologic survey seemed like an exciting experience, at least for the first time.

1. My name is Jonathan
    2. I am a mechanical engineering major.
    3. I am from Egypt and moved to NYC 9 years ago. I enjoy going to the gym.
    4. I hope to learn about Earth systems and how they all work together.
    5. I want to learn more about the atmosphere in general and the advancements we are making in learning more about it.

Hey Yussef, I think oceans and smaller bodies of water are extremely interesting. I am also looking forward to learning about that. I read in the textbook that the water in our atmosphere just gets recycled and is always constant, which I found interesting.

Hey Jonathan, your major sounds interesting, the atmosphere is an important topic in Earth Science and in the study of climate change. I wonder how the atmosphere affects oceans and other bodies of water.

Hey Emily! I am also taking this class as a general requirement. Better than physics right? Anyway, volcanoes are fascinating and terrifying at the same time.

Hi Emily, I think rock formations are very interesting too. I hope that this lab will focus on that a lot.

Cooking is a very fulfilling hobby! As an offshoot from geology, I recommend you look at mineralogy. That might just be because of my chemistry background but it might be something to get more into especially since rock composition is closely connected to rock formation. Though I don’t know if you would describe rocks the same way you would minerals… I hope you enjoy earth science going forward!

1. My name is Mohammad Shaham. I prefer to be called Shaham.
    2. I am majoring in Mechanical Engineering
    3. I am from Bangladesh, I love riding bikes and reading literature books in my free time.
    4.  I am expecting to educate myself more about earth, sustainable energies, and way of reducing pollution. As a Mechanical Engineering I am expecting to work for sustainable and renewable energy, so knowing about earth will help me a lot.
    5. I added the picture and the reason I have chooses that, water is one of the most important source of renewable energy and it will be fun to learn to learn about the hydrological cycle.
    Attachments:

Hello Rosiris,

My name is Shaham. I also love learning about renewable energy and solar energy is one of the greatest source of renewable energy.

Hello Jonathan,

My name is Shaham. I am also majoring in Mechanical Engineering. It is always fun to learn about Earth Science to make the earth a better place to live in.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.