News

Access: LimitedShow Details
  • This Doc can be read by: Anyone
  • This Doc can be edited by: The Doc author only
  • Comments are visible to: Anyone
  • Comments can be posted by: Logged-in Users
  • History can be viewed by: Anyone
Hide Details

What do you think of the guidelines? Is there anything missing? Describe a time when you were taken in (or almost taken in) by a misleading news story or a story that was later debunked? If that has never happened to you, write about your processes for evaluating what you read/ listen to/ watch to prevent that.

The guidelines are very helpful and accurate. Many times, people don’t realize the type of information they are getting isn’t credible, and can be false. These guidelines, makes it easy for anybody, to cite correct sources, and get reliable information. A time where I was mislead with information, was during the 2016 presidential campaign. I sadly came across a fake video of Donald Trump stating he was “joking” about running for president and that we should vote for his “good friend Hillary Clinton.” I saw this in a Facebook post, that was apparently shared by a news outlet. I realized this information was (sadly) fake, when I searched up actual reliable sources that didn’t include “.com”. Instead I searched them up with sites that said “.org” or “.gov:.