Public Group active 2 months, 2 weeks ago

LACUNY Scholarly Communications Roundtable

This group is where members of the LACUNY Scholarly Communications Roundtable (and anyone else who is interested) can discuss programming and issues relating to scholarly communications in the libraries and elsewhere.

Roundtable Chair, 2023-24: Jill Cirasella (Graduate Center)
Group logo by Thomas Frank: http://flic.kr/p/9DyKAa

Admins:

Data skills? Data curiosity?

• For those of you who aren’t on CULIBS, I wanted to forward this email from my colleague Stephen Klein. A number of you said on Wednesday that researcher data needs and our libraries’ lack of data expertise are on your mind, so this idea may appeal to you:

Hi,

Do you work with research data or help patrons find data? Are you interested in building your data skills and literacy (regardless of your current skill level)? Would you benefit from a group where you could bounce around data-related questions?

I’m wondering if it might be time to form a cross-campus data services discussion group of some kind, perhaps a LACUNY roundtable with a forum on the CUNY Academic Commons for conversation and questions between meetings. Topics could include, but would not be limited to:

• Finding data, including government, census, demographic, and economic data
    • Data sharing and data repositories
    • Data privacy
    • Data storage and preservation
    • Data cleaning, manipulation, scripting, and analysis
    • Data management plans for grants

If interested, please add your name to this Google spreadsheet, regardless of your current level of data expertise, and then we can figure out next steps off CULIBS.

Best,
    Stephen

Stephen Klein
    Digital Services Librarian
    CUNY Graduate Center

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.